Looking to buy some web hosting.

Tru_Power22

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I've been doing some research and am really looking at http://www.justhost.com/ for my web hosting. Has anyone ever used this website? It really looks like cheap, good hosting. If anyone has any recommendations please, I'm willing to listen.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It does look like a good host. What it offers seems to be very good for the price. The only thing that I wouldn't know is what the host's speed is like, as I have never used them. I personally use my host (UK2) for it's fast speeds.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gatorhost always worked for me.

Reliable, and the coupon code is "BOSTON" if your wondering. I see it all the time on billboards in chicago >.>

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
regardless of where you buy from, make sure you buy your domain name and web host from a different company

a month ago I got a year of hosting from dreamhost for about $10 /w the coupon "777" I think it was a good deal for some basic webhosting

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
You can get a free domain through co.cc (that's the URL).
While it's not the best looking domain name (.com/.net/.org looks better), it's free.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Why? Please answer that. It's kind of a pain in the ass not to.
Because most webhosts that offer a free domain name retain ownership of the domain once you stop hosting with them. So you basically lose your domain.

If you are serious about keeping your domain names, you should register the domain name yourself, directly from the a real registrar (like Godaddy or namecheap) instead of getting it from a hosting company and/or reseller.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Because most webhosts that offer a free domain name retain ownership of the domain once you stop hosting with them. So you basically lose your domain.

If you are serious about keeping your domain names, you should register the domain name yourself, directly from the a real registrar (like Godaddy or namecheap) instead of getting it from a hosting company and/or reseller.

x2

it's like with a cell phone that only works with a certain company - your locking yourself in with them, and then in a year if they decide to change their rates, your left with either paying them their new rate or losing your domain name (or cellphone service) since you cant switch to another one (using the same phone or same domain name)

also from messing around in the justhost site, after I tried to leave they had a pop-up offer for 20% off, if you do decide to go with them you should be able to get it as well

Tru_Power22

Reaction score

Goddaddy is... Ew in terms of customer support.

Lyerae

Reaction score
From what I hear, it's the cheapest place to get a domain.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Lately I have done tons and tons of research on hosting, though not shared hosting in particular. So if you're ever looking for more power like a Virtual Private Server or Dedicated Hosting, I can be more help. I will say, though, that I have used HostGator's shared hosting, and have had no problems with them.
So there is my two cents.

Lyerae

Reaction score
Wait, are you actually building site, or do you need a server to test server-side scripting?
If you just need it for scripting (PHP), look into XAMPP.

Just thought of that.

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
Goddaddy is... Ew in terms of customer support.

Are you kidding? GoDaddy has amazing customer support. Not even after 24 hours after I bought my domain, GoDaddy configured it to work with my host AND called me to make sure everything was working well.

Tru_Power22

Reaction score
Are you kidding? GoDaddy has amazing customer support. Not even after 24 hours after I bought my domain, GoDaddy configured it to work with my host AND called me to make sure everything was working well.

I had problems with them.

I think once I get some money I'm going with host gator and GoDaddy.

Thanks for all your help.

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
A host that I am really liking is Slicehost. They have awesome support and you get massive control over your "slice". Each slice is essentially a VPS instance. The big drawback here is that they are completely unmanaged and you need to know your way around Linux in order to be able to use them effectively. There isn't anything like cPanel with them.
Of course, even their bottom level VPS will own any kind of shared hosting....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.