Low-Cost Computer That Can Run Wc3

Zedzy

ℑΣÐℑΨ
Reaction score
I am looking for a computer, available in Ontario, Canada, preferably under 400$ Canadian, but I can probably go up to 500$ CAN. This would need to be able run Warcraft 3, and the World Editor easily. I have access to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard already (though I'm open to suggestions for a new mouse or keyboard), but I have no knowledge of putting computers together. This computer will also be used to access forums, and occasionally used for school work. This computer would preferably BE run Windows XP.

Warcraft 3 system requirements:

Minimum System Requirements:

• 400 MHz Pentium II or equivalent, or a 400 MHz G3 processor or better.
  • Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP.
  • Warcraft III requires 128 MB of RAM.
  • A keyboard and mouse are required.
  • A hard drive with at least 550 MB of free space
  • 8MB 3D video card (TNT, i810, Voodoo 3, Rage 128 equivalent or better) with DirectX 8.1 support.
  • A DirectX-compatible 16-bit sound card is recommended.

Recommended System Requirements:

• 600 MHz processor or better
  • 256 MB of RAM
  • 32 MB 3D Video card

C&P'd from here.

Thanks for any suggestions (lol cap lock before edit) :thup:,

Zedzy

ℑΣÐℑΨ
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, though within my price range, I will try to find less expensive alternatives.

Rad

Reaction score
I would suggest searching in the $300-$400 price range (USD, I don't know canadian rates though).

Just about any of those will be able to handle Warcraft III. It's an older game and shouldn't be a problem. However, I highly suggest getting a dual core processor. I suggest an "Athlon 64 X2" as they have great performance even for low budget PCs.

Make sure its the X2, Athlon 64's exist and they are single core, Athlon X2 also list under a different category for some reason. They could be 32bit, I doubt it, but it wouldn't matter as most Windows operating systems are 32bit.

Using Newegg's power search feature I built a list for you. These PC's all feature dual-core processors, Windows XP, and at least 1GB of ram.

Power Search List

I would suggest the 160GB Acer, Athlon X2 4200+, 2GB DDR2. If you prefer Intel there is also the 160GB Acer, E4500 2.2GHZ, 1GB DDR2 for $20 more.

I'm not sure about Newegg's shipping policy to Canada. Shipping costs are usually big for me in Oregon, but for canada it will likely be even more. You might just want to check out a local store, but I've never seen a good deal at a local store for a desktop PC.

Just be sure to get a dual core processor and at least 1gb of ram. If you do try to get a PC from a local store do not fall for crapware. Don't fall for "Free antivirus software" or any other software, 95% of the time theres a free alternative that we would be happy to suggest (And are usually better anyway).

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
I dont wanna be mean, but nowadays you can probably find a computer good enough to run Wc3 in the trash xDD

But, you should be able to get a good cpu for 500$ somewhere, I don't know where though >_<

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
Newegg does NOT ship to Canada.

Try www.memoryexpress.com. They are a local surplus store in Calgary that ships anywhere in Canada, and their price is almost as good as Newegg.

They offer computer assembly (at a price).

Or your standard alternative, Dell. Hard to beat for a Dual Core E2180, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD and a 19" monitor for $500.

(Yes, it just rubs me the wrong way everytime someone mentions Newegg to a Canadian)

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
Since you can 't assemble a Computer, I'de go with Dell.
Only Important Specs are a dual Core CPU, preferably 2Gbyte Ram and a proper Video Card(Geforce 9xxx or Radeon 3xxx).

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Geforce 9xxx = OVERKILL for war3.
Seriously, a 7 or 8 series is more then enough, or a decent HD 3 series card.

Sintoras

Shaaakaa!
Reaction score
9xxx are just about as god as 8xxx, only thing about them is that are are better for overclocking. I'de still get something new and good instead of something old and good.

Rad

Reaction score
He doesn't need an 8 series, or a 9 series, hardly even a 7 series.

Warcraft 3 will run fine on just about anything you get. Just make sure its not a poor card, especially integrated. Thats still likely with a low-cost PC though, try to get a card with at least 128mb of memory.

Anyway... its been awhile, are you still looking for a computer? Did you find one? Do you still need some help?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.