Tutorial Making Ghost Models

Was this tutoiral helpful

• Total voters

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
Making Models Ghostly
Introduction

Have you ever wondered how to make models look ghostly, is there a certain unit that would look great as a ghost in your map. Then this tutorial is right for you.
What you need:
Mago's Wc3 Model Editor
Getting Started:​

First, open Wc3 Model Editor. Then go to Windows/Mpq Browser

mpqbrowserbj9.png

Then select file, if you want a Reign of Chaos model then select Wc3.mpq, if you want Frozen Throne model, then select Wc3x.mpq, and Wc3Patch.mpq contains any model added in the patch such as the hero “Tinker”. For our example we will use a Footman. So we’ll go to Units/Human/Footman , if you want something else just find its race and search for the unit. Now double click the unit and close the Mpq Browser. You will see the unit in the War3 Model Editor window.

mpqbrowserfootmanbz9.png

Editing the Materials

Now the first thing we want to do is hold (left, right wont work) crtl and click the unit. It will glow once, this mean it has been selected in the geoset manager, and the material attached to that geoset that you have just selected. Remember how to do this because later we will have to select every part of the unit that you want to make Ghostly. Now that we have a geoset selected go to Window/Material Manager. Now double click the selected Material, or right click and select edit. You will see a layer, double click it, note: some materials have multiple layers, so don’t forget to change all of them. Now we are going to change the filter, this is what is going to make the model ghostly. We can either select additive or alpha, but additive is best because it is not as bright, and white. So we will select additive and press ok. If you did this right the unit should be ghostly, Like this:
transparent1jc8.png

Wait a minute, its not completely ghostly is it, and ghosts don’t leave corpse when they die, do they? First well delete the corpse. Remember how to select materials, and geosets, if not review the beginning of this section. Now we will select the corpse and click the Geoset Manager. Then right-click and select remove. If you seen a Message Box saying something is attached to it, click yes. No we want to make the rest of the body additive. First change every part to additive except the once with team color, or hero glow. After that is done, we will select the team color material. Select it in the material manager, you may see more than one layers. Click one, if it says replaceable ID 1, then change it to the texture of the unit. In our case it would be Textures/Footman. Then change the filter to additive. Then select the other layer if there is one, and change the filter to additive. If every thing is right, it should look something like this:

footmanghostho4.png

If you’d like you can view you unit, animated, by going to Window/Animation Controller then select and animation and click animated.
Congratulations! You’ve made your first ghostly unit; if you want you could just make a weapon ghostly or a helmet. Now to save it go to file/save then make it something like Ghost, and make sure you type “.mdx” without the quotes, other wise you may get an error, saying unknown extension. My file name says, Ghostfootman.mdx
Now open world editor, import the model, and change a unit’s model file to the newly imported file, then test!

Using Triggers
If you would like, you can use triggers to make a similar ghost effect, but it does not look as good. Open up the trigger editor. It doesn’t matter what the event it, if you want it to be transparent at map creation then map it
Event: Map initialization.
for the transparent effect
Action: Animation - Change (YOUR UNIT)'s vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 40.00% transparency.
you can make it from 40-60%, 100% is invisible.

Check the below for the attached Footman File after the editing

Editing Particle Emitters
Introduction
What is a particle emitter. Well it is a device in 3-D models that puts out several particles that have a color and texture. A well known particle emitter in wc3 is the fire models.
Editing a Particle Emitter

Go to the MPQ Browser and open up a model with a particle emitter. This could be fire which is under environment, or an ability such as cloud (note: it is located in wc3x.mpq). For my example i will be using fire that ill make purple. As you see, theres nothing there, but not to worry, it will show up if you go to the animation. Now to edit the particle emitters, go to windows/node manager. The particle emitters have a blue arrow -> before the name. Double click, or right click and select edit. Bellow is a chart i made, i tried my best to explain as much as i can. Feel free to experiment with the settings.

chartgl0.png

Since im making purple flames, ill edit the colors of the emitters to purple. Ill get rid of the smoke emitter by right clicking and removing it in the node manager. I will also reduce the life length, to make the fire shorter, then make it wider, then Vala, we have ourselves an owning purple flame.
purpfireyw6.png

If you want you could find flame strike, and make it purple. Then save it and import it in WE with path as Flame strike, save the map, and you'll have and owning purple flame strike :D. Some other ideas are: edit cloud and make a smoke screen, change the color of plague, (red looks pretty cool), make your own purple flame:D, and edit projectiles with emitters, like fire balls and what not. Play around with the particle emitters, and remember, fires note the only kind. If you want to make fire from scratch, check the fire tutorial under Help.

Removing Weapons
Introduction

Have you every wanted to add an attachment to a unit but it wouldn't look good because it already has a weapon in its hand? Well then read this tip.
Removing the Weapon

First get your model that you want no weapons on. Select the geoset in which the weapon is on. If the weapon is the only thing in the geoset (usally in non-blizzard models) then you are in luck. All you have to do is go to Windows/geoset manager and right click the geoset and remove it. How ever if there is more than the weapon on the geoset then you have to remove it the hard way. Save the model with a .mdl at the end of the name. Then open it up with oinkerwinkle's vertex modifier ( can be found here) Now open it up. Its going to look weird, the model has no 3d look its just a bunch of lines. If you have never used this program i suggest you read the tutorials on oinkerwinkle's site. Now if you do not see the weapon keep switching the Geoset via file/switch geoset until you find the weapon. Then select the vertexes of the weapon and then click delete. Save the file then open it up with Wc3model editor, if you are not please with the results edit again with the vertex modifier until it looks as desired. Then save the file in wc3model editor as .mdx alternately you can use other programs to convert it to .mdx
If you want to add a weapon you can use geoset merger on onikerwinkle's site in order to add a weapon to the unit, but you still need to position the weapon.

Attachments

• Footman.mdx
    100.2 KB · Views: 349

Andrewgosu

The Silent Pandaren Helper
Reaction score
It looks nice, but a similar effect can be achieved by changing the unit's animation vertex alpha colour to 25%-50%.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
for invisible, just go to the model and go to custom and type none
It looks nice, but a similar effect can be achieved by changing the unit's animation vertex alpha colour to 25%-50%.
true BUT you can not make just one part of the unit perhaps a sword, or a particular animation transparent with your way.

Corleone

Reaction score
I need attachement points though it is for my non triggered dummy caster.

Perma invis ( ability ) and invulnerbility ( and locust ) should do the trick then.

On Topic : Nice tutorial. I'll probably try this out soon.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
added color titles, fixed the pictures, and i have added how to make ghosts with triggers, as andrewgosha said

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Nice tutorial, but the overall usefulness is kind of questionable.
IMO this should rather be a part of a bigger tutorial that would explain some more simple modelling "tricks" such as deleting poly, renaming/removing animations etc.

K

Kevin

No SFLip! I am living proof the usefulness is very 100% up there ^_^

See my hero character I am making and may have to do the animations for ( :cry I cannot do animations: ) rides a Ghost Horse. But she needs to remain un ghosted!

!:D!

But wait, you are right, in fact, I need a tutorial for creating "splash" type animations, like frost mage, around my ghost horse! I think all ghosts should have a "frosty" type of animation that kinda "melts" off their bodies, don't you agree? ;D :wink wink nudge nudge:

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Uhhh when I load War3 Model editor and control + click on the model nothing happens...

Edit: NVM it doesn't work when you right control click... Didn't think there was a difference but apparently there is!
Also make the tut look nicer it's still not quite eye candish

C

Corkysmurf

Uhhh when I load War3 Model editor and control + click on the model nothing happens...

Edit: NVM it doesn't work when you right control click... Didn't think there was a difference but apparently there is!
Also make the tut look nicer it's still not quite eye candish

Wut Eddie! Canada's da place it happns.... (trying out tutorial now, keep u posted)

Yeah.. its fine... wont use it much tho but could be very helpful.

Drakethos

Preordered Sc2 ftw!
Reaction score
thank you for pointing out the control thing ill be sure to specify right control. How exactly do you suggest changing the tutorial visually wise?\
No SFLip! I am living proof the usefulness is very 100% up there ^_^
I think all ghosts should have a "frosty" type of animation that kinda "melts" off their bodies, don't you agree? ;D :wink wink nudge nudge
Well it would be done with a particle emitter and a frost texture. This gives me an idea, i could make a few more model tutorials using the Model Editor, and add it to this tutorial making one big tutorial

K

Kevin

thank you for pointing out the control thing ill be sure to specify right control. How exactly do you suggest changing the tutorial visually wise?\ Well it would be done with a particle emitter and a frost texture. This gives me an idea, i could make a few more model tutorials using the Model Editor, and add it to this tutorial making one big tutorial

Thank you! Because I am very noob with certain aspects of model editing especially for WC3 :(

^_^

K

Kevin

well, I am struggling with making animations for my characters. I am not very good and milkshape makes animations kinda difficult.

I also am not very good at skinning.

But, what I do not know how to do, which is something that we need to learn how to do: How do you make it so your model "blinks" in and out (turning invisible then visible) really fast during a specific animation or what not? That seems kinda ghostly. Having a model fade in and fade out fade in fade out, maybe slow even for ghosts. But I think that'd be neat if possible.

however, one thing which I need to know -- see I am making a Ghost Horse for my character. She rides a ghost horse. And I want my ghost horse to be surrounded by a cloud of frost that kinda falls off its body and rolls on the ground in a cloud formation.

^_^

K

Kevin

This tutorial is very helpful. It allows me to change each specific material into an invisible. It also creates other effects that are very neat. I like it and you helped me with my model because of it Dargoth. YAY!:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.