Melee Searing Arrows type skill

bugbear

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a skill that is autocast with a cooldown for bonus damage like searing arrows, but is for melee. How would you recommend making this Skill (searing arrows doesn't seem to work with melee units).

igor1222

Reaction score
As I recall it then you just pick an Auto-recast spell, and mod it to cast the desired spell in the properties (aka Ability Manager). Not sure if thats how you do it, but I think you can <.<

bugbear

Reaction score
I think I need a little more detailed explanation on that solution. There doesn't seem to be anything you're speaking of where I'm looking (object manager).

igor1222

Reaction score
ABILITY Manager ;)
Not the Unit Manager, because there you can only make units. There is a fan called "Abilities" and thats where you should be looking for all the spells available.

bugbear

Reaction score
I believe you're speaking of the sub category tab titled Abilities in the object manager. I'm not seeing the option you're speaking of here.

igor1222

Reaction score
The option?
You have to create the spell yourself dude :b
Right-click the folder called "Custom Abilities" and press "New Ability..".
Else you look in the folders, and find a Spell which by default have the Auto-cast function and modifies it by, right-clicking Copying, and paste it into the "Custom Abilities" folder located at the bottom.
Then you modify the spell you copied into the "Custom Abilities" folder.
Hope that helped :)

bugbear

Reaction score
It didn't. I am quite aware of how to copy and paste abilities, and even press numbers on my keyboard to edit their properties. What I am not aware of is how to make a searing arrow effect for melee.

Please make sure any future solutions have been tried and tested before posting, because searing arrows, ice arrows, etc seem to be hard coded to only affect ranged attacks.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
I don't think you can use these for melee, as you've said.
Try using "Incinerate" and add a cooldown to it?

EDIT: Bah, Incinerate adds damage on every attack (stacks), not what you want I don't think.
Sorry.

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Hmm...I would say your best bet for this would be to make your hero a ranged unit but have a very low range...the only problem with that is you will still have the hit and miss formula run for you on hills...

igor1222

Reaction score
I didn't say you should pick those attacks and you only said those wouldn't really work...an autocast spell could also be, forexample Bloodlust or Heal, or something else, like Incenerate as Wolfie pointed out -_-'

ZiggyMcjoney

Data editor?! AAAHHHHH!
Reaction score
It'd be possible to trigger it if you had a fancy damage detection system, but the ability itself will not work on melee, sorry.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Hmm...I would say your best bet for this would be to make your hero a ranged unit but have a very low range...the only problem with that is you will still have the hit and miss formula run for you on hills...
Only problem with this is what if he has items and such that only work for melee heroes?
That hero can't use them since he's technically ranged.

igor1222

Reaction score
Can't you change the items to be ranged-useable also?
Then you just need to tweak said items so that both Ranged and Melee, would benefit of them I guess <.<

igor1222

Reaction score
Well duh :b
Make triggers to check if the Hero got the item and if its ranged. If so apply said stats or whatsoever so that the ranged hero can still use the Melee items perhaps? x_x

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
Igor, I have seen you offer this "auto-cast solution" before, so I'm going to clarify it for you. Certain abilities can only do so many things; you can't just "configure it to do what you want". If you use bloodlust, it will only ever trigger when a unit attacks, and it can only change the attack speed, move speed, scaling size, and whatever other fields are available to change. If you use heal, it will only ever trigger when a unit is low on health, and all it can do is heal the target.

igor1222

Reaction score
I know you can add stats by triggers.

Igor, I have seen you offer this "auto-cast solution" before, so I'm going to clarify it for you. Certain abilities can only do so many things; you can't just "configure it to do what you want". If you use bloodlust, it will only ever trigger when a unit attacks, and it can only change the attack speed, move speed, scaling size, and whatever other fields are available to change. If you use heal, it will only ever trigger when a unit is low on health, and all it can do is heal the target.

Aaaand sorry I just shut up now on this Post Lmao xD

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
Write me a trigger that gives 12% lifesteal, +5 armor, +10% attack speed.
And only works for melee heroes then ;) !

Certain things can be added by triggers,
Not all.

igor1222

Reaction score
I didn't say all :b
And had you asked me a few years back then I could write something for you (not what you ask xD) in less than 20 minutes :b
I haven't used the editor for about 3 or 4 years lol. So I try to regain some of my old geekness haha

Anyway, I shut up now :x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.