missing drivers....

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Had a memory chip go bad on my main CPU, which had WindowsME on it. (Wierd things were happening, like monitor losing it signal, computer not shutting down properly, games crashing to desktop... etc).

I replace the chip but still had some problems including fully shutting down the computer. I decided to go back to Windows98SE, and do a clean install of the OS, complete with reformating the HD. I had already updated my MB BIOS to the latest 1009 for the mother board a month back because the 1003 bisos did not fully support the GF4's.

Everything went well with the following exceptions

1. Adaptec Direct CD does not recognize my Sony CD-RW CRX160E as being supported. It worked fine with ME

2. In device manager have the following unidentified devices for which no drivers can be found

(1) PCI System Management Bus.
(2) PCI Serial Controler.

I ran the following from the MB cd (ASUS CUSL2-C)
INF Update utility for 815 chipset
Intel Ultra ATA storage driver

removed all the cdroms and the two unidentifed devices repooterd but still had the same thing happen.

I then uninstaled Direct CD and reinstalled it and it srill says I do noth have a supported harddrive.

Any ideas?

G

Grimlock

I'm guessing by the spec name, that your CD-writer is a 16x whatever x whatever. Have you installed the High-speed CD-writer update? I know my 12x10x32 burner needed a High SPeed Update, which came on a floppy disk.

Do your unrecognised PCI bits cause problems, and what PCI card do you have installed, are they all correctly working
?

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
A big THANKS to Dabomb

I forgot to download the adaptec Direct CD update, that solved that problem.

As far as I know, and I have checked, I have no IRQ conflicts.

The only device that is not installed properly that is in the computer is my USR gaming modem, I am currently using a Cnet Pro ethernet adapter to a ZyXEL prestige 600 modem connected to my DSL connection

I asked windows to detect my modem and it says I do not have one. I wonder if that may be the PCI serial controler that is missing the driver.

I am searching for the drivers for that modem now. that may solve the problem, I will let you know.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
now a CONGRATS to Grimlock. I installed the modem and that got rid of the unresolved PCI Serial Controler that was in my device manager,

the only one still outstanding is the

PCI System Management Bus

going to try and remove it and let it redetect again.

G

Grimlock

It's nice to be congratulated for helping the admin of the helper forum, heheheh.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Well everything is fixed except the unresolved driver for the

PCI System Management Bus.

Everything seems to be working though... The only shared IRQs are as follows, and they look ok to me really.

5. "Sound card" and "ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ Steering"

9. as follows
"Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444"
"Intel(R) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442"
"USR gamming modem"
"ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ Steering"
"SCI IRQ use by ACPI bus"

10. "Network card" and "ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ Steering"

11. "Video card" and "ACPI IRQ holder for PCI IRQ Steering"

14. "Intel(R) 8201 Ultra ATA Storage controller - 244B" and " Primary Ultra ATA controller"

15. "Intel(R) 8201 Ultra ATA Storage controller - 244B" and " Secondary Ultra ATA controller"

G

Grimlock

14 and 15 are correct, the rest I'm not sure, I don't think any of mine share IRQ's like that, well they didn't under ME, I ahven't really looked since I put 2k on, probably because nothing has buggared up YET...

B

Ball Breaker

As far as the Shutting Down problem Win ME has a problem at the best of times shutting down. There has been no patch available to fix this problem and with XP out in full force ME will never be fixed properly although updating your Win ME will for sure help.

As for the hardware problems, take the advice of the posts above their quite knowlegable.

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and advice....

This problem has been solved the unresolved "(1) PCI System Management Bus' happened because I did not install the 815 chipset drivers, from the motherboard's install cd, as soon as I installed the new OS on the reformat of the computer.

Installing them much later would not resolve the problem, those drivers MUST be installed the first thing after doing a clean install of the OS on a computer.

Now for the final install of the OS. This time I am NOT going to install the device driver that MS product update suggest I should install.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
when u install the chipset drivers after installing the os ..
make sure b4 u install the OS have all cards out of the machine . .
beside the vidcard ofcourse ..
after u install the chipset u start adding all the cards again .
then atlast install the latest version of direct x

btw i changed my name on bnet at wc3 to Wargy .. u owe me a long game just like in SC beta heheheeh

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Never thought of that solution Wargy, but it makes sense, I have heard it suggested before.

I think that is just what I will do. Next weekend. I am going to go with the current install for now and see how it holds up. I am sick and tired of installing the OS on this computer, so I will take a break from it till next weekend.

BTW have you tried DS yet. I have and I really like it.

T'k

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
naw i am not gonna get DS
i am hooked on WC3
SOF2 is out soon .
i prolly would play a little of DS then .

t'kron

Rest in Peace My Friend
Reaction score
Final followup

I followed Wargys suggestion this weekend(4/28/2002)...
removed all cards except the video card
format C:
install Win98SE
install stuff from ASUS cd (ATA and special win98 drivers)
installed all cards and loaded drivers
installed all software
did not install the windows product update sites suggesting to install newer Nic card drivers

everything went smooth. :D

thanks everyone for all the help.

:p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.