model resized to a smaller scale uses the same resources?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Say these below:

1. Two same maps, 32x32. Terrain is the same.
2. Two different sized Barracks. One is scaled 1.0f, the other 0.5f.
3. The barracks are placed separately.

Does the one scaled 1.0f uses a lot more resources (graphics, lags, delays, etc.) on Battle.Net than the one scaled 0.5f?

I usually see giant units are slow and show signs of "spikey" lags. (sp?) But smaller units are fast and smoother. I wondered why?

(1.0f means scaled 1x, 0.5f means scaled 0.5x, "f" means a float number.)

Lightstalker

Reaction score
I think I remember reading somewhere that units not scaled to "1" consume more resources, so it goes both ways (if you make it too big, or too small). I could be wrong tho.

You could easily try it by playing multiple units (and not buildings), and having 3 exact maps all with the same number of units. 1 map would have a bunch of Paladins scaled to 5, 1 could have a bunch of paladins scaled to 0.2, and 1 could have a bunch of paladins scaled at 1.

HG-Bonfire

Reaction score
The reason Larger units tend to move slower is that most map makers only modify the scaling value, collision size, and selection scale when they resize their models. They usually don't mess with the Run speed of the unit, which determines how fast the unit appears to be moving. If you were to make the scaling values of a unit in the game as accurate as possible, then a scaled up unit would actually move much faster than a regular sized one (Both walk at the same pace, but the larger one covers more ground with each step) and a smaller one would move much slower (for similar reasons). With regards to memory, the game defaults it's memory usage at 1.0 scale, and it takes more memory to tell the game that the unit is larger or smaller than that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.