Multiplayer Demo not Starting

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Main Specs

AMD Duron 800 Mhz
KT-133+ Motherboard
On-Board Audio (Disabled Hardware acceleration in DirectX)
GeForce 4 MX 440
256 MB Ram
Windows 2000 Updated

Every updates installed according to the Windows Update Site except the Euro Conversion Tool.

The first time I tried running the game, it said the file MSCVP60.DLL was missing. I went on the Microsoft web site and found out it was available in one of the Windows 2000 cabs on the CD.

After copying the .dll file, I tried starting the game and that time nothing happened. At that point I browsed these forums and found an unofficial patch for G4MXs. The problem is, the patch only seems compatible with the Single-Player demo.

Any Suggestions ?

Thank You.

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Yep, all is updated. I have tried many games since I got my G4MX and this is the only one not working so far. I suppose Battlefield is not compatible with my card yet from what I've seen.

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
i dunno tobe honest
i ran it at work at a few comps with a gf4
one would work others would crash right away
i ran it on 9 comps now
3 with a gf4 ran fine
i first thought it was a chipset prob but that not bin the case
i the 3 that ran fine 2 of them where intel based chipsets ie p4's
so i thought i nailed the prob
then i ran it on a xp 2000 with a gf4 it ran fine
the other 6 was a mix of p4's and amd's all crashed
it makes no sense
i do know when i compare the sp demo to the mp demo
i had a shitload of issues on my amd and my soundcard
the mp demo came out . all the issues that i had with the sp demp was solved

that proved me one thing .. that they solved alot of bugs since the sp demp

retail game gonna be intresting
i think that one will have alot of shit solved
shame EA does not support this forum and we get no feedback from them
not all is lost . i am sure we could made a big difference for them support wise
o well

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Well in that case, I won't bother trying. It's compatible with some computer and not compatible with others. The full retail version will probably have these issues fixed anyway.

L

LT.Homer Simpson

Here is a possible fix for the crashing.

This has been fixed in code in a future release. If you want to run the game anyway. Here's what to do:
In the settings folder there is a file called VideoDefault.con you edit this file with wordpad or ultraedit or whatever (not notepad) add this line:
renderer.hWProgramableTransformEnabled 0
Save the file and restart your game and now you can run the game.

This is a Nvidia driver bug on the Geforce4 Mx and Go chipsets, where they accelerate vertex shaders in thier drivers (not on the GPU HW as usual). This seems to be very buggy at the moment although they are working on solving the problem.. The workaround found above solves the problem for now.

Dabom

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Homer's suggestion should fix your problem. Did you install your chipset drivers in turbo or standard mode?

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I am sure Homer's suggestion would help me but I noticed the game currently supports a refresh rate of 60Hz only. I'm guessing that is why the game would not start. I am using Windows 2000 and have run the refresh rate fix from guru3d.com and set the refresh rate to 85Hz. I'm somewhat scared of 60Hz since it tends to give me head and eye pain fairly quickly. I refuse to run my monitor at a refresh rate lower that 85Hz. That being said, I shall wait for the next patch which will apparantly support higher refresh rates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.