My first project in StarEdit; multiple problems

Rabarber

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I got my hands on a copy of StarCraft yesteray, and i started with StarEdit right away.

I soon realized there were some differences from WorldEdit. For example, you can't "Copy-Paste As Text" the triggers.

And, more important, there are no ACTIONS.

Questions:
1 - If you make multiple conditions for a trigger, do all of them have to be true, or will the trigger fire on each one of them?

2 - How do i make this trigger only work if a hero dies?

Any other problems with that trigger?

3 - Do memory leaks exist in StarEdit?

4 - Do the StarCraft triggers use JASS too?

5 - Can i somehow override the files in the StarCraft MPQ?

That's all for this time. :p

EDIT: I got Brood Wars, by the way.

T

True Scorn

1- ALL the conditions must be fulfilled
2-A hero? Do you have one hero or several or do you spawn multiple of the same hero?

For one hero
-All players
-Conditions
Current player kills 1 Zergling (Let's say you get one hero zergling)
-Actions
Play wav "Whatever"
Display text "OMG a hero was killed! Run!"
-Modify resources for current player, add 100 Minerals (Or vespene gas, I don't play WC so I dunno about the Ore)
-Preserve trigger (You don't need this preserve if you only have one Zergling to worry about, but if there is more than one Zergling, preserve will start this trigger every time one is killed)

Conceivably, this will work, as StarEdit is supposed to be logic based. But if you dabble too far into its triggers, you will see a few wierd obstacles that you'll have to detour around.

If you have more than one unique hero, you will have to copy this trigger and change the "Current player kills 1 Zergling" part and possibly the text too for each and every hero.

3-I have no idea what a memory leak is, but it sounds bad.
4-JASS? I'm no WC player so I have no idea
5-The most I've done with programming is Starcraft X-tra editor

Hope my meager advice helps

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
Rabarber said:
I got my hands on a copy of StarCraft yesteray, and i started with StarEdit right away.

I soon realized there were some differences from WorldEdit. For example, you can't "Copy-Paste As Text" the triggers.

And, more important, there are no ACTIONS.

Questions:
1 - If you make multiple conditions for a trigger, do all of them have to be true, or will the trigger fire on each one of them?

2 - How do i make this trigger only work if a hero dies?

Any other problems with that trigger?

3 - Do memory leaks exist in StarEdit?

4 - Do the StarCraft triggers use JASS too?

5 - Can i somehow override the files in the StarCraft MPQ?

That's all for this time. :p

EDIT: I got Brood Wars, by the way.
1: answered
2: The best way is to use a "player commands exactly 0 of 'hero unit'". Additionally, "player kills at least 1 any unit" will fire once every 2 seconds forever because of the preserve trigger. Unless you make an instant revival for the hero, the system will be flawed from the preserve trigger. See, in starcraft, triggers only last once, when they fire they dissapear. But preserve trigger makes them last as many times as they can.
3: Starcraft is too good for memory leaks.
4: Well, they ARE saved in text format. The only thing that uses the interface is standard staredit. Starforge uses straight text. BTW if you making maps, you probably want to download starcraft x-tra editor and starforge. Unlike things like WEU, with starcraft better editors open up huge horizons.
5: What do you mean? In a map its impossible to edit the graphics and weapon types and crap of units. You have to make a mod for that. Well, i shouldnt say impossible. A little while ago some people at SEN discovered EUD triggers, a method of memory editing that alolowed you to change things around. But Superpenguin (creator of penguinplug) realised they could be used to damage computers, so blizzard scrambled them. People can still use eud conditions, but theyre just started being figured out after the scrambling, so dont count on anything.

L

LazyCoder

I know what you're talking about, starcraft is much less advanced than Warcraft III.

No, there is no Jass in starcraft.

R

regimentaL[h

zomgwtfbbqhax

As a former Starcraft map maker... I found the transition from StarEdit very easy... and in fact, I was amazed by the possibilities the WorldEditor contained. However, that seems like a big problem if you are going from WorldEdit to StarEdit. StarEdit is so much less advanced... however, StarEdit is a little bit more difficult to use as far as getting your conditions proper. Especially since there is no JASS triggering. StarEdit does clean up it's own leaks though, unlike in WorldEdit where you need to do it manually. Some other people mentioned the 'Preserve trigger' function. It is indeed very useful... but with the preserve trigger, you might want to have it stop at some point in the map. You'll notice that there is no 'Turn off (trigger)' function. The simple way to solving this problem is with a switch... a switch is much like a variable but much more basic and basic. It basically acts as a 0 or 1 would in a circuit board. 1 = yes (the switch is on) 0 = no (the switch is off). By using a switch as one of your conditions, by turning the switch on and off... you can turn the trigger itself on and off... hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.