Networking Troubles with WinXP... Again...

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
I cannot have a Win2000 and WinXP computer see eachother on the network for some reason. They both have NETBEUI binded with Microsoft File Sharing, they are both on the same workgroup name, they are both on the same subnet, their IP is nearly the same, I have tried disabling WinXP's "Simple Sharing" and I tried the TCP/IP protocol - same thing. Windows XP always gave me troubles with networking. Windows 98SE, Windows ME and Windows 2000 never had troubles communicating with eachother. Windows XP refuses to. I tried pinging the computers - it works.

Please help me out of this annoying problem.

D

Darthtoast

Sorry, can't help you. I had the same problem, only a little different. We borrowed a hub from a friend and only Oya and my computers could see each other, and our other roommate's '98 computer could see each other, but the '98s couldn't see my 2000 or Oya's XP.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Can you connect to shares on the other computers using the IP address (i.e. \\192.168.1.1\c$ for the default C drive admin share on 2000/xp) Can you do it by name (i.e. \\COMPUTER1\C$)? In other words, can they connect to shares even though they don't see each other in Network Neighborhood?

Can you ping them by name or IP, or both?

Do you have the connections setup to enable Netbios over tcp/ip? (it's on the tcp/ip properties--> Advanced--> WINS tab on win2k network settings.) XP apparently makes this incredibly hard to find because its kind of obsolete now. Although if you are using netbeui it shouldn't matter.

If you have ZoneAlarm or something on the computers-- get rid of it for now.

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
No firewalls are being used on either computer. They cannot see eachother even by typing the name or IP in the browser.

I can ping them by IP, but not by name.

cmd /k ping \\ComputerName

Is that the right command ?

I have tried enabling/disabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP on both computers without any results.

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
I already tried without the // and it did not work anyway. Like I said, I can ping the IP, not the name.

Notes
They are connected by a hub.

I tried disabling XP's firewall. Still the same. I doubt it would have helped since it was only enabled on the internet connection, not the network.

When trying to type \\computername\path from the run menu, the error message is "Network Path Not Found". I also tried just typing \\computername. Still the same.

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Fixed ! I reinstalled the network card, uninstalled NETBEUI and now the network works. A little slow, but my hub is only a 10mpbs anyway. Thanks for the help everyone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.