New computer part(s)

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Ok, well I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do but I was thinking about upgrading my computer and I need some input on some things. Basically my set up right now is:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (socket 754)
1gig ram
200gb hd
Radeon 9800se 128mb AGP

What I'm really looking to do is replace my video card since it's kinda causing me problems and since the fan on it has stopped spinning lol. So I was thinking that I could buy another AGP card (x1900 or something), but I'm just thinking that AGP is going to die out soon. So my real question is, should I buy a new socket 754 motherboard (I'm happy with my processor), make sure it has a PCI-E slot, and buy a PCI-E graphics card or just buy another AGP card?

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
If you upgrade now, go for the AM2 socket. There is no point sticking to 754 (it is 2 generations old)

If you insists, buy an AGP. PCI-E on 754 is a god awful waste of money.

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I know the socket is out of date but I dont think my parents are willing to go for a full upgrade since this computer isn't all that old (year and a half or so I think). I think I may just buy a replacement fan (or some other cooling solution) so my card doesn't overheat and die when I run a game. I'll do some looking around at prices and see what I can come up with though.

Rad

Reaction score
GET THIS! if you upgrade your MOBO. Its the one I have, its god... It hasnt been beaten by any of my games or programs on highest settings companied by my 7900gt and 2gigs of DDR2 ram. And its cheap cheap. Its as much as my Althon 64 3000+ [1.8ghz single core] was back in may 06!

Might want to wait on a video card, since DX10 is coming out prices will be dropping. I know CPU's have dropped alot, in february that CPU in the link was around 380$ now its dirt cheap

ps: im unbanned lolz

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Yea, I think I (or rather my parents =P) will wait on upgrading the entire comp so I'm thinking about buying a x1600 agp card off of ebay for like $50 just so I will be able to run the newer games easier (except for dx10..but I dont think there will be many of those quite yet) and so I can get rid of this 9800se lol. Does that sound like an OK idea for the time being?

x-anubis-x

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Yea, I know, but those cost around $250-$300 and I don't want to spend that much lol. At max I'll spend like $70-$100 ($100 is really pushing it unless its like a x1950 for $100 lol)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.