Sci/Tech New storage technology is hundreds of times faster than current hard drives.

MrBrooks

Brooooooooooown!
Reaction score
article-0-11A0BC99000005DC-470_470x288.jpg

The technique uses heat to write to the magnetic storage system, instead of magnetic fields. It's far faster and uses less energy.

Computer hard drives could suddenly become far faster, thanks to a new technology that uses heat to write information to the magnetic storage systems, instead of magnetic fields. Drives using the technology will be hundreds of times faster than previous drives, say University of York researchers - able to record thousands of gigabytes per second.

The researchers found they could record information using only heat -previously unimaginable. York physicist Thomas Ostler said: 'Instead of using a magnetic field to record information on a magnetic medium, we harnessed much stronger internal forces and recorded information using only heat'.

Read more here!

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Very misleading in many ways!
They only talk about writing information, there is now way the reading would become any faster this way.
Since for many applications reading is much more important this is not as good as it might sound at first.

Another point is that if you really want to use heat for such purposes you would need additional coolers which will then need more power of course.

rover2341

Is riding a roller coaster...Wee!
Reaction score
I agree with your first point. But doesn't change it could be very useful for some applications.

I am not so sure about additional coolers but makes sense.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with your first point. But doesn't change it could be very useful for some applications.

I am not so sure about additional coolers but makes sense.

Yes, there are some applications like recording HQ-Videos which might get faster this way. But the majority of applications, especially office-applications and video games, will not benefit too much.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
It's more like a fork in the digital storage road, where we would use a different material and different writing methods, rather than improving the write speeds.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.