New to world editor, .w3x files?

Kawnsull

Reaction score
A few days ago one of my friends sent me one of his beta maps to test. Everything worked fine, but I wanted to see how he did some of the stuff inside world editor. I opened the map edited it a little and saved it under a different name and closed the editor. I went to go test my newly edited map in warcraft, but I noticed it wasn't in the list. I went back into the editor and tried to open the file. Nothing was saved. It was just a blank map, all my work was lost! I noticed that all the other maps in my downloads folder were saved as .w3m files, while my map was a w3x file.

So, my question is, what are .w3x files and how do I convert them to .w3m files/make them playable? Was this caused by me not "decompiling" the map into an editable format?

Also, If it helps, I have W3:ROC not TFT.

Thanks, Kawnsull.

Tyrulan

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
A .w3x file merely refers to it as TFT with TFT functions.

.w3m is for ROC.

Your friend probably has TFT and most likely has models/spells/ etc that are not included in the ROC version. Therefore you cannot convert from .w3m to .w3x. Sorry mate.

soulmaka

Reaction score
.. you shoul Test your map by not closing world editor.. just click the red little thingy beside Import Manager.. the TEST MAP/F9

mordocai

Reaction score
as tyrulan said, w3x files are wc3:TFT not ROC, and cant be converted easily, and sometimes at all. Search it here and you shall find the answeer

Kawnsull

Reaction score
A .w3x file merely refers to it as TFT with TFT functions.

.w3m is for ROC.

Your friend probably has TFT and most likely has models/spells/ etc that are not included in the ROC version. Therefore you cannot convert from .w3m to .w3x. Sorry mate.

The original file is a .w3m, its only when I save it, it gets converted to a .w3x.

Last edited by a moderator:

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
your friend.. does he have TFT?

it seems like he has RoC and you have TFT...

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.