Number of Members

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
I've been doing some statistical projects on this site, and it seems to have a varying number of total members. Here are the results for about 15 minutes ago.

Number of members listed on the member-list (put your mouse over the page number to see X-X of X): 2363

Sum of the number of members starting with each letter (I checked this several times.): 2364

Number listed below the list of forums: 2671

Why are these different numbers? And why are the first two so close? :nuts:

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
Because the system prunes older members that haven't been on in a while.

That's 2,000 or so members gone. (Posts are still posted - But display as guest accounts)

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
If that many users are gone, why is the difference between the member-list number and the members number only about 300? It also doesn't explain the difference between the first two numbers. I'm am 90% sure that the second number is the correct number of current users.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Probably one of the numbers is counting banned members, or possibly the number of members awaiting email confirmation - they would not show up on the list.

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
Oh, ok. Still wish I knew why that one was 1 greater than the first. I guess I must have miscounted somewhere. :banghead: Oh well. Not a big problem. Not a bug anyway.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
If there were a way for me to dump the forum stats for you so you could analyze them I would.

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
That's awesome. Unless you're being sarcarstic, which isn't helpful. But then you would have to have used a smiley. I'm going to believe you weren't being sarcastic. Can't lose with reasoning like that.

But more seriously, the member-list thing is not necessary. I just had a sudden impulse to see what percentage of the users have what letter starting their name. When I find the normal curve for the number of posts and threads, I'll take smaller sample, so the total poulation won't matter.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
pladams9 said:
That's awesome. Unless you're being sarcarstic, which isn't helpful. But then you would have to have used a smiley. I'm going to believe you weren't being sarcastic. Can't lose with reasoning like that.

He said if he COULD, he WOULD, which implies that he CAN'T, so naturally, he WON'T!

Say that five times fast :rolleyes:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to research how to get forum information extracted from a Vbulletin Forum and it can be done without me having to give email addresses - i would not mind - you'd have to share the results though.

pladams9

Seth's Good-Twin
Reaction score
I know what he said. I meant that the sarcastic offer of impossible help was not helpful. The un-sarcastic offer of impossible help isn't impossible either, but it's encouraging in a strange way. It's all good. Resident Evil trailers.

Edit: Everyone's posting too fast!! LOL. As I said in my last post, I'm just going to pick a small-ish sample. Probably around 100 users. I'll just pick a random group of users and then include their number of posts and threads started in my list of data.

As for VBulletin, I might do some research, but I'm not (especially) interested in that at this time. But I probably will be in a few days. I'm wierd like that. Must be bi-polar.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.