Old Threads

Cheddar

This is the way it was meant to be.
Reaction score
I've got a question about old threads. Let's say there was a discussion on... let's say Super Smash Brothers, but it was buried by other threads and is now on the 7th page, posting in it considered Thread Necromancy. Yet if you were to create anther thread on this game, people would say "There is already a thread about this" and redirect you to the old discussion.

My question is, in that scenario, would you revive the thread, create a new one, or feel sorry for yourself that you missed out?

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say it depends on what the content of the original thread was. If you would add something along the lines of what was being discussed in the other thread, then go ahead and post in it. If people don't want to use that old thread, just create a new one. I doubt anyone will yell at you too much if you post in an old thread about the same topic.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Older than, let's say, a week? New thread.

Why does it sound like you just made up that rule? :p

A week it is, then. :D

By the way, does that go for WE help threads, as well?

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
"Rule" would be pushing it.
I'm slightly more forgiving if the tread necromancer is the original poster.

Besides, about 98.7% of all "w3" threads that get closed because "there already is one" should look rather familiar to you...

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
> Besides, about 98.7% of all "w3" threads that get closed because "there already is one" should look rather familiar to you...

Indeed. :p But I do that when it's the same person posting a thread about the same question. I don't usually close the thread when someone new posts something that's already been asked. Then I just tell them to use search. :p

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Thread Necromancy? What is this, CAD Forums? We really don't have "rules" against this, unless it is years upon years old. [Well, try months]

Seriously, though. We don't go by what page it is as much as the date of the last post and relevance the conversation can still have.

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just create a new thread if it's that old.

Whitesock

Graphics Help Zone Moderator
Reaction score
If it's past 5 pages then you probably should post a new thread, and if people redirect you you can post in the old thread, because people know it's there.

The only real thread necromacy I've seen was a person who bumped the "Welcome to (forumname) forum!" thread in GD? Or was it humor zone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.