"Once upon an Epic Tale," my new RPPG! (originally "Once upon an RPG")

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Hello to you all again from
The Hegemuffin.

Original Post

Four score and seven years ago (actually, three weeks ago) I posted an idea for a new map simply "Once upon a time..." Since them, the project has evolved drastically, manifesting itself in the form of "Once upon an RPG" (for which I posted a demo within the first week) and, more recently, after a two and a half week hiatus from mapping, "Once upon an Epic Tale." Yes, it is true that I have not been doing any mapping during this time, mainly due to a creative block, but I have indeed been mulling the idea over in my head. Hence, when I finally sat down to start working on it again, what I ended up with was so different from the original incarnation of the map that I felt it deserved its own thread.

First and foremost, I believe I should address "Once upon an RPG," which, though it was released as a standalone demo, was nonetheless intended as the first chapter of a significantly longer campaign. This idea has long been scrapped, largely due to my inability to conceive of plausible transitions between the many sections. However, many of the plot ideas originally intended for "Once upon an RPG" are to be incorporated into "Once upon an Epic Tale," so I don't think there will be much lost on the whole.

Secondly, I chose to revise the project because I wanted more freedom. Although the theme of literary references is still a great idea, I found it too confining to draw solely from the work of others. Thus, although I am still somewhat against the idea of an "original" RPG plot (simply because, in my experience, the majority of RPG plots are anything but original), I am nonetheless taking on the challenge in the hope that my feeble brain will be able to produce something that rises above the general stereotype.

Thirdly, the one element that will probably remain the closest to "Once upon an RPG" is that of the puzzles. Of course, not every puzzle will be the same, and not every puzzle will be item-oriented, as were the ones in the demo I provided, but the general gameplay will stay focused on the cerebral element, with very little depending on luck or brute force.

Finally, for the sake of anyone who has not read the original, somewhat lengthy post, I feel I should provide a brief introduction to the kind of game this will be. Specifically, I have arrived at a more concise definition of a "puzzle game/RPG," which is now simply an "RPPG" or Role-Playing Puzzle Game. The idea behind this genre is to have a game with a well developed plot and a good deal of NPC interaction (much like any RPG), but without the tedium of killing 100 rats to level up, killing 100 wolves to complete a quest, killing 1,000,000 various monsters to reach Level X, whoring 1,000 potions to help you accomplish all of this, or spending 3 months killing one boss until a "God" item drops, among other things. In other words, an RPPG will ideally contain all the satisfying elements of a fantasy game without the mindless drudgery of killing mobs (and yes, it will require an IQ above that of the mentally handicapped).

As with any release of a new map, I have no idea how much of a success this will be with the masses (particularly as a single player game). However, my first release of "Once upon an RPG" seemed to spark enough controversy (people tended to either love it or hate it) that I could at least deem it to be interesting. For a mediocre mapper such as myself, "interesting" can be all the encouragement needed to proceed with the next one, and if your support as a community is anything like what it was for the last one, I should already have more than enough encouragement in any case.

So, thanks for reading, and I'll include some helpful sections below that will make it easier to keep up with map's current progress. There shouldn't be too much to get excited about yet, though, as a project this size is looking to take about a month total. Still, I'll be sure to keep you all posted whenever something important happens.

The Hegemuffin​

FAQs

Q: What is an "RPPG?" (a.k.a. "the skinny" of the original post)
A: An "RPPG," or Role-Playing Puzzle Game, is a unique genre of single player game, in which a player usually controls an individual character or set of characters, embarking on a series of quests to complete what is inherently a story in an interactive format. However, unlike most Role-Playing Games, in which players simply act out the "role" of their characters in a monotonous string of menial tasks, an RPPG requires extensive thought to complete even the simplest of actions. Although RPPGs are usually a concise genre on the whole, they can end up taking even longer than a standard RPG. This is because their length is largely dependent on the ingenuity of the player.

Q: What is the plot of "Once upon an Epic Tale?"
A: Unfortunately, this information is unavailable until the first release.

Additional Information

This section will function in a means similar to FAQs in that it will provide you (the forum) with useful additional information, but more in an as-I-deem-fit than a question and answer format. Naturally, as this is a single player game, I don't intend to release it until it is perfect in every sense of the word because I effectively get one chance. So, as a substitute for a series of alpha/beta releases etc., I will simply continue to post additional information when it strikes me in the hope of retaining the general interest.

THE GAMBLER [06/28/06] As I hinted in a post below, the Gambler is indeed to be featured as a major character in the game, and though I did not wish to give away too much at that time, I no longer feel that silence on this point is necessary. The primary role of the Gambler is that of a gold source (surprise surprise). Because this is a puzzle game, every bonus obtained by the character, be it an Item, an Ability, or Stat gain, will ultimately play a role in some way or other. Nothing exists for its own sake (sadly enough). By extension, gold is not exactly a currecy in this game so much as just another puzzle element. Gold tends to be there when you need it, and when you don't, well, you shouldn't be thinking about it. Of course, who is there to provide it? The Gambler!

Yet Maverick, by his proper name, is not just a one-dimensional character. He is unique as an NPC (so far, at least) in that his affiliation is never exactly made clear. In a genre where good and evil are commonplace, Maverick is an anomaly, for while progress would be impossible without him, he is first and foremost a gamesman, and money is his only master. This becomes more evident as the game moves along. At the beginning, when you start with 0 gold and find yourself needing some right away, he treats you to a no risk/high reward means of making money. Nice of him, huh? As you meet him farther on, however, he becomes increasingly more of an obstacle. Rarely are his games no risk, and by the end of the story, it has become very easy to actually lose money to him. Thus, he almost fits the profile of a dealer, not a gambler - talented at roping you in, perhaps gaining your confidence, but once he has you, making you fight to hold onto your wallet.

That said, I should make it clear now that "Once upon an Epic Tale" does not feature games of chance, at least in the traditional sense and despite the misleading use of "Gambler." All of the "Gambler's" games are either completely solvable mathematically or possible to manipulate mathematically so that they ensure a profit. Unless you're savvy, though, you may well find yourself losing a good deal at later levels.

NPCs and the Quest System [06/29/06] Development Discontinued

Status of the Map *NEW [07/15/06]* Hi all, it's been a while, so I just thought I'd inform you (the forum) as to the current status of the map, as well as explain some of the more recent updates. For one thing, the screenshots section has been entirely with completey new material added. (Don't worry; the Gambler is still in the game; he's just not featured in any of the shots.) And as you may have noticed, Roland (now Rowan), the protagonist, is no longer a hero! Indeed, I have removed heroes from the map, as I found it tended to be just more useless information for what was ultimately a thinking and not a fighting game. Naturally, that's also why my plan for the "NPCs and the Quest System" sort of fell through the cracks. Sorry for anyone who was a diehard fan of that idea, but I really can't imagine why people would be.

More importantly, Chapter One of "Once upon an Epic Tale" is slated for a closed beta (and probably the only beta) release by Friday of next week (07/21/06). I still haven't decided on whether this map will be in campaign format or not, but if it is, then the first chapter can also be expected to see a normal release soon thereafter. (In other words, work is progressing smoothly.) Additionally, for any of you who would like to be involved in the closed beta, know that I am assembling the majority of the team privately, and it will probably be a select group so that the greatest number of people will see only the final product (single player issues again, etc.) However, if there is anyone who would really, really like to do some early testing, you are welcome to post here or PM me to that end (please no "Well, if you need the help, I'm always here because I'm such a nice guy" for the sake of reputation because if you're not interested, I'm not interested, nor am I interested in reading whatever it is you have to say to me).

That's all folks!​

Screenshots *NEW [07/15/06]*

A Look at the Loading Screen

Enter Rowan

Rowan Meets Philomel

Rowan at the Mill

Rowan Peruses the Map Info Menu

Feature Requests *NEW [07/15/06]*

where I ask for help concerning that which I cannot do on my own

1) I am currently in need of a minimap image. Though could most likely produce one on my own with a moderate degree of success, I know there are many of you out there more capable than I, so I am asking anyone who might take an interest to help me out on this one.​

Chapter One Progress

Terrain:
|||||||||||||||||||| (70%)
Quests:
|||||||||||||||||||| (100%)
Triggers:
|||||||||||||||||||| (100%)​

W

WoW_Error

A puzzle-oriented RPG?

The gods must be smiling upon this world...

Good luck with the final product, if you'd like any of my assisstance I'd gladly help. Although I must admit, aside from a creative standpoint, my skills with the World Editor are rather limited.

NoxMortus

All Along the Watchtower
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, I'd like to see the finished product.

Why is there loads of coins in the middle of the street?

And also, I think it looks cooler if you display your progress like this:

Plot:
|||||||||||||||||||| (50%)
Terrain:
|||||||||||||||||||| (5%)
Objects:
|||||||||||||||||||| (10%)
Triggers:
|||||||||||||||||||| (5%)

:D

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Heh, I love this site. Thanks to WoW_Error and NoxMortus for their support.

Why are there loads of coins in the middle of the street?

Well, I don't want to give away the plot at this point, but I will tell you that it has to do with the Gambler. They aren't normally there, though, and the idea was more to introduce you all to the Gambler (who will probably play an important role throughout the game) as opposed to showing off the map's, shall we say, somewhat lacking aesthetic (at the moment, at least).

And also, I think it looks cooler if you display your progress like this

Thanks for the suggestion :D

The Hegemuffin

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Sweet!

Let me know if I can help...my primary skills are triggering and the like, art is just a hobby.

Effane

Save/Load Code Tutorial
Reaction score
Hehe, good thing everyone has their specialty around here.

Keep up the work on the map, looks good so far (Hehe, 2 screenshots!). :p Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Hegemuffin

Reaction score
Err, I know it's a double post, but it's been over two weeks.

Anyway, I'm just bumping because my first post has been completely reformatted and also contains some new information that I think people will want to see. (Look for the *NEW [date]* tags to avoid reading through the whole thing.)

Cheers,

The Hegemuffin

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.