PCI-Express Frequency = High CPU Usage

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had some troubles overclocking on this computer. Whenever I change the PCI-Express Frequencies from AUTO to 100, my CPU Usage stays in the 40's, even though no programs are running and I'm idling.

If I set it back to AUTO, I get 0% Usage and 99% on my SIP 10 seconds after logging in, which is normal + good.

I searched around and I only found 1 other person who had this problem, and he did not get a solution.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/f13/pci-express-frequency-28808/

So I was wondering if anyone had any sort of idea as to a solution. I am 99% sure it is just my PCI Express Frequency that is causing it, as I changed all other settings and it did not affect it my CPU usage.

I disabled C1E and EIST and it lowered my CPU usage from 40's to 30's, but that's not what I wanted.

I want to get this running @ 4Ghz but I'm limited by my PCI Express as I don't want to have it on AUTO for obvious reasons...

Specs:
E8400 E0 Stepping
2x1GB Corsair Dominators DDR2 1066mhz
Sapphire HD 4870
Gigabyte X48-DS4 (F3b Bios)
Corsair TX-750 (750W)

I have Win XP Pro SP3 + Win7 RC 7227 in dual boot, and the problem occurs in both.

Please and thanks :)

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Must be a conflict with something else. Can you post anything that goes with your PCI-Express card slots?

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Not PCI-E but I have a Wireless Adaptor in one of my spare PCI 'creme' coloured slots.

I suppose I could try removing/disabling it for now and see if it does anything, but this'll have to wait until this afternoon as I have 2 exams today.

I also have 2 HDD's, 1x1TB and 1x250GB, not in Raid. I heard that HDD's are controlled by the PCI Bus or something, so that might help as well.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
I also have 2 HDD's, 1x1TB and 1x250GB, not in Raid. I heard that HDD's are controlled by the PCI Bus or something, so that might help as well.
They are controlled by chipset (SATA).

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
They are controlled by chipset (SATA).

Ok sorry, just to clarify I meant this (From another website):

Overclocking the PCI-e bus will also overclock the standard PCI bus & that *may* cause data corruption on your HDD(s), problems with PCI devices, onboard sound, etc.

The PCI-e frequency should be locked at 100MHz. But if you insist on experimenting, limit the PCI-e overclock to a max 112MHz...that will limit the PCI overclock to 37.33MHz, which is generally considered to be the safe max.

AnthraxXx

Reaction score
Okay, just flashed back to an older BIOS (f2) and the problem is still here. Gonna reflash back to f3b...

Other people with this board + cpu can overclock with no troubles, so I guess I probably got a faulty one. Damn.

EDIT: Problem no longer occurs in Windows 7, I'm probably going to reinstall XP.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.