Periodic Timed Events

jleips2600

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been addressed before, I did attempt to search the forums but couldn't really find a topic that sounded like it had an answer, but anyways...

How bad is it to have Periodic Timed Events (at every .1 seconds) or so?
For example: a WASD system.
Will making it MUI cause a significant change in lag?
Any information on this topic in general would be much appreciated, so I know if I should try to optimize things I'm working on to not depend on Periodic Timed Events.

Thank you in advanced~

wingdnosring

Reaction score
I haven't tested these sorts of things sufficiently yet (need to upgrade my computer before I can test anything like this), but I believe a general rule of thumb is to avoid 0.01 second events. Go as high as you can without sacrificing performance.

In most cases 0.03 or even 0.05 are more than ample to create smooth movement/effects.

jleips2600

Reaction score
I see, thanks for the info !

Do you know if having 2 separate .03 periodic timers (one to control rotation, one to control movement) is any different performance-wise than having a single .03 period timer to control both with a longer length of if-then-else checks/code?

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I see, thanks for the info !

Do you know if having 2 separate .03 periodic timers (one to control rotation, one to control movement) is any different performance-wise than having a single .03 period timer to control both with a longer length of if-then-else checks/code?
I would guess having 1 timer is better... but I can't really test it. Then again how would having 2 periodic timers for 2 different things with the same periodic time be any better?

jleips2600

Reaction score
I mainly had them separated for organization and easier to edit if i need to later i guess... not sure otherwise. just curious how it all fits together.. I thought maybe all events with the same variables got clumped together and run as if they were 1 trigger... wanted some clarification :p

Sensang

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I mainly had them separated for organization and easier to edit if i need to later i guess... not sure otherwise. just curious how it all fits together.. I thought maybe all events with the same variables got clumped together and run as if they were 1 trigger... wanted some clarification :p

no they don't at all... theyre run pretty instantly.
Organization?^^
Just have 1 timer for everything movement related :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.