Pre-load units, clarification needed

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have seen the expression "pre-load" used several times. I have found so far that it has something to do with preplaced units which are loaded in the map initialization to prevent lag when they spawn.

Since I need to spawn a lot of units in my map I would like to know, if that is true, and if it is, how to do it. Detailed explanation is appreciated :)

Chewbalka

Reaction score
To my understanding it is not for units, but imports. It is for preventing lag whenever an imported file is used/spawned. I have easily 1200+ imports on one of my maps and havent found a reason to justify its use.

tommerbob

Minecraft. :D
Reaction score
Some things, like abilities, lag a brief moment when loaded for the first time. Preloading is when you load it during the map initialization trigger to remove that initial lag.

Creating lots of units, or adding abilities to units, can cause this lag. So for example, if you have an ability that you add to a unit, you can preload it like this:

Trigger:
  • Events
    • game - map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set PreloadPoint = Center of Playable Map area
      • Unit - Create 1 Human Paladin at PreloadPoint
      • Unit - Add [your ability] to (last created unit)
      • Unit - Remove (last created unit) from the game
      • custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_PreloadPoint)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
You have to preload all units which are not the standard wc3 units.

Once you create custom units these units have to be loaded into your RAM when the game is running, initially they are not loaded and when they are the game can lag a little bit.
This holds true for any custom object editor data, destructibles, abilities, upgrades, anything.

There is a jass line which can be used to preload certain object editor data but it isnt needed. Preloading is as easy as to preplace all the units of your map somewhere on the map and then removing them via a trigger at map initialization.
To be preloaded all it takes is to be used in the map initially.

However, this will mean, that the loading time of your game is slightly longer.

How to preload abilities and upgrades you might ask? Simply put them into a unit, give the abilities to a unit, make the unit use the upgrades, preload the unit and the abilities and upgrades will be preloaded just as well.

Solu9

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
So I have some custom units. Some with triggered abilities some with standard. Can I simply preplace the different kinds of units in map map and then remove them in the initialization? Or do I have to spawn them in the initialization and remove them again?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Both does the same.
All triggers run at map initialization will run while the game is loading in the loading screen.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.