Report Presenteeism: The reasons why we go into work sick

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
We’ve all done it: gone to work even though we feel horrible and will probably not get anything done. Even though we hate it when a co-worker comes in sick, and we understand that we won’t get better if we head into work sick, we still continue to do.

Researchers from the University of East Anglia (UEA) have uncovered the primary reasons why we still go to work when we are sick, including high job-demand, job stress and job insecurity.

The research aims to show employers the growing trend of presenteeism – going to work while sick – and what can be done to help boost an employee’s health and productivity.

The researchers found that presenteeism stems from ill health, stress, and raised motivation. This may have employees going that “extra mile,” which not only makes them work more intensely, but even head into work when they are sick.

The strongest link to presenteeism is the severity of organizational policies used to monitor or reduce staff absences. Examples of this are limited paid sick days, job insecurity and taking disciplinary action.

Previous research on presenteeism showed that it has negative and positive effects on employee productivity and welfare. Presenteeism is linked with an increase in errors, productivity loss and lower performance. In the UK, presenteeism cost the medical system £15.1 billion a year just for mental health.

Lead author, Dr. Mariella Miraglia, said, “This study sheds light on the controversial act of presenteeism, uncovering both positive and negative underlying processes. It demonstrates that presenteeism is associated with work features and personal characteristics and not only dictated by medical conditions, in contrast to the main perspective of occupational medicine and epidemiology.”

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
I never get sick. Being sick is for pussies. People who get sick are sick because they dont deserve to be healthy. You get sick for being a loser who doesnt deserve to live.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
I go to work sick all the time to cough and sneeze all over the customers food because I hate them.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
I go to work sick all the time to cough and sneeze all over the customers food because I hate them.

Sorry to say, but you're just making them work more with their immune systems, no biggie.

Varine

Reaction score
Sorry to say, but you're just making them work more with their immune systems, no biggie.
They're making me work more with their fucking glutard, olive oil only, low sodium vegan diet shit.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
You shouldn't be at work Varine!!!! You will potentially harming yourself.

Varine

Reaction score
Uhh yeah, but if I'm not at work how am I supposed to spread what could be ebola to everyone? I can't do that from home you know!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.