Prevent itunes from starting when I plug in ipod

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Hey
I'm just trying to set this up so itunes won't start if I plug in my ipod, because usually I just want to recharge it.

So I already googled for it and if I open itunes -> devices -> myipod -> summary -> options there is a checkbox with the name 'open itunes when this ipod is connected'.

Well, it's unchecked (without me changing it) and it's somehow set so I can't change it (brighter gray, can't check the box)

But itunes still starts if I plug in the ipod. wtf.

:<

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
have you tried going to control panel -> hardware and sound -> autoplay

and seeing what is set for the ipod from there?

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have to disable ItunesHelper, a background program that checks if an iPod is connected.

There is a guide to disabling ItunesHelper.exe on a PC here. Disabling it may have unconfirmed side effects (failure to interact with winamp, to name one) however it also has other positive side effects (slightly increases performance on your computer, stops it from eating up RAM (~1.8 mb), it has caused crashes on XP in the past).

Itunes, however, checks to see if the files are in order (still haven't figured out if it checks on startup, initialization, or some other event) and will recreate them if you tamper with them, so you may have to disable them on a regular basis.

It should probably be turned off for all users, to be honest, because it consumes up more resources than necessary when you can just run iTunes when you plug-in.

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
You should also be able to click on the iPod in iTunes and uncheck "Automatically open iTunes when this iPod is connected", although that option doesn't always show.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You should also be able to click on the iPod in iTunes and uncheck "Automatically open iTunes when this iPod is connected", although that option doesn't always show.

Not to mention it has a history of not working for some reason.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.