put unit health into a variable?

U

Unregistered

I want to be able to have a trigger that replaces a unit with another, but have the new unit have the same HP as the old one.

I'm pretty sure the way to do this is to get the removed unit's HP into an "integer" variable, and then use that to set the HP of the new unit.

How do I put unit health into a variable?

Side question: is it possible to do the kind of "ability creation" (completely new abilities that use existing animations and buttons) that is done for Defense of the Ancients maps, without going into actual coding? I wish the map would open on my world editor so I could learn from it.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
You are almost right in saying what you want to do. You would have to store the unit's life into a REAL variable not an integer variable.

Do you know how to make variables? In the trigger editor go to edit => variables. You can make a variable of type real this way.

And then all you have to do is simply use the 'set variable' action to store the unit's life into this variable.

e.g.

set Unit_Life = (life of <some unit>)

to find where unit life is, look under 'unit - property' in the list that appears when you click on that right-most parameter above (after setting the real variable into that left parameter above)

U

Unregistered

Thanks. That was the biggest failing of StarEdit for me. I had a Beast Wars map in mind for that, but I could never make it the way I wanted to.

This sets me up to move orward on my current map idea.

U

Unregistered

I tried our using the "real" variable like you said, and using the action "set variable" to unit health. It was no problem, and I got it to work with minimal effort.

The next thing that I need to be able to do is to make custom special abilities. I want to be able to take the ability button from one thing in the game (for instance heal) and make a new, custom ability with it, with or without its own mana cost. The unit editor only allows me to decide which units have which abilities, not what the abilities do. The ablity properties menu only allows me to disallow abilities to certain players. How do I edit abilities?

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much for reading all of these posts and replying. I checked out a couple others, and I'm ashamed to be one of the many who ask about ability editing before having read a SINGLE other thread.

Do you have some sort of prosthetic patience-generating device?

In any case, I looked at some tutorials. Most of them first instruct me to acquire other applications. I have TechMPQ, and a WarCraft 3 Viewer Engine, but all the other things seem to be very difficult to find. Is there a reason UMSWE is unavailable?

I know that UMSMAPS closed its doors, but I'm surprised that there are no other locations.

In another thread you mention that the 3.5 meg version of UMSWE won't sned by e-mail. Could we transfer it through AIM? Or maybe with Kazaa?

A more bland question: by aggressively placing ramps and then re-editing terrain, I can put ramps in much tighter spaces than by placing the ramps after editing the terrain. But when I run the map, units can't use the aggressive, tightly placed ramp. Can I get around this any way?

M

MrJoeS

Bulletin. I started this thread. I was then unregistered. Now I have the handle MrJoeS. Henceforth you may know me thus. End Bulletin.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
lol

No I don't have a 'prosthetic patience-generating device'! I just keep my wits about me through approaching this whole 'helping out' business with an attitude that says: 'you can help some people but don't try to help everyone'.

This basically means that I dish my help out in small portions and not big ones. I don't go to every single warcraft 3 editing forum and try to answer every single post. I just pick a few posts that look interesting and respond only to those ones.

Regarding those other questions of yours, I'll answer them shortly, I can't do it now cause my brain is a little asleep at the moment and your ramp question requires more than 2 seconds of thinking....

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, the requirements for ramps are very strict. You must have a certain amount of space created around the ramp for units to have access to it. If you have tightly placed it, then I don't see a way for any unit to use it.

If it is of any use to you, I am currently in the process of locating a ramp tutorial which was very well written. Unfortunately, the Blizzard forums have been down for at least 10 hours, so I will have to wait till they come back up before I can find it.

M

MrJoeS

Thanks for the link. The tutorial seems mostly concerned with melee map making, but I learned some good things about how ramps work in WE. This is such a huge improvement over StarEdit. Anyway, I'm thinking that in the places where I need to create "ramps" in tight areas, I'll use the raise-lower tools drastically. They can make really sharp inclines.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.