Question on Current Camera

Mindless

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I saw the reference "camera field of current camera" and also "target X/Y/Z of current Camera" and is confused. Exactly which player's camera is "current camera"? And why is the "rotation of current camera" always 0 when I convert it to text and display it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Dirac

Reaction score
I think those terms apply only when a camera from the camera palette is applied to a player for a duration

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Exactly which player's camera is "current camera"?
It's whichever view is currently displayed on the player's screen.

And why is the "rotation of current camera" always 0 when I convert it to text and display it?
I dunno. The default is 90. It changes when the camera turns, eg. when you press Insert/Delete.
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 002
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.40 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String((Rotation of (Current camera))))

Mindless

Reaction score
It's whichever view is currently displayed on the player's screen.

But which player? I have in all eight players viewing the game at eight custom viewing positions. Which one is it?

Oh, and sorry everyone, I did not include certain information in my question. (I thought those were irrelevant at that time). First, I used Lock Camera Target to a Unit using the Unit's Rotation. Then I tried to rotate the camera using the trigger Set Player's Camera Field (rotation) to tempInteger. where tempInteger is current rotation of camera + 1. I tried to display tempInteger, with the result it is always 1. So thus leading me to conclude that current rotation of camera is always 0.

Dirac

Reaction score
i havent tested this but im certain the default rotation is always 270, you must be looking at the wrong value

EDIT: now that i think about it, doesn't make sense to you that the camera rotation is always 0 even when you're completely sure it's 1 (because you're setting it to tempinteger) you MUST be looking at the wrong value

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
But which player? I have in all eight players viewing the game at eight custom viewing positions. Which one is it?

The local player of that computer. Each player might have a different value, so be careful what you do with it or you could cause a desync.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
GetLocalPlayer().
If you're doing things to just one player using that function, it can cause desyncs.
Which WC3 fixes by just booting that player.
GetLocalPlayer() tutorial said:
Desyncs are errors where, when playing multiplayer, will cause certain players to be disconnected from the map. When something is desynchronized, it is not synchronized with the other players.

Mindless

Reaction score
So... is it okay for me to set the camera rotation of the local player using triggers? Will it cause desync?

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
What function are you using?
Generally, I believe, if it returns an effect, and/or extends a handle, it can cause desyncs.

Although, I believe that's one of the main uses for GetLocalPlayer(), as long as you use it correctly.

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score

Mindless

Reaction score
It's actually Set Camera field (timed). That's the trigger's original name. However, I think I'll go with rotate camera around point. What does it actually do? Can you, um, explain it to me in words? Because I tried it an some funny things started happening...

WolfieeifloW

WEHZ Helper
Reaction score
If you copy your trigger, and convert it to JASS (Assuming you have NewGen), you can just CTRL-click on the function.
If it uses GetLocalPlayer() then you can use it, as long as you do correctly.

Mindless

Reaction score
Sorry, I have no knowledge at all of JASS... And I'm not using NewGen... and what do you mean, "as long as you do correctly". What do I have to do?

Sorry, I'm a bit noob to WE, I don't understand a lot of things....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.