Question on Importing Custom Models

Mindless

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently made a model using 3DS Max. I had no trouble converting it to a m3 file but now I do not know how to import it into the Editor.

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

eXirrah

Reaction score
In the editor open the Import Manager (F9).

Once there from the menu go to Data -> Import Files... (Ctrl+I)
A dialog should pop up that shows you the files in the currently selected folder to import from.
Click on the Browse button and change the folder to the one that contains your .m3 file. The file should show up
in the list and if the checkbox next to it is not checked, check it and click ok. You should import the model's textures
the same way.
Once you are done with all the importing save your map and if the model is not textured restart the editor.
If the model is still not textures after you restarted the editor check if the textures are in the proper folder in the
Import manager.
You can change the files internal path by selecting them, right clicking on them and clicking on Move Files (Ctrl+M).
The import folder of the textures can be changed in the M3 Exporter in 3ds max. The default path is Assets/Textures/
Your model should now be imported in the Editor.

If you wonder how to use this model on a unit then go to Data Editor (F7). From the drop down menu select Models.
From the menu go to Data -> Add Object. Add the object and find a field named Model. Modify that field so the path
points to the model you just imported.

Create an Unit. In the data editor from the drop down menu select units. Go to Data -> Add Object.
After you create the unit you need to create an actor. From the drop down menu select Actors and add
a new actor. Link the actor's token to the unit you just created and set the model to the model you created earlier.
The model of the actor can be changed from the Art - Model field.

If you need more info on creating units, actors or models check the tutorials, there should be some helpful info there.

Mindless

Reaction score
Thank you eXirrah.

A very detailed step-by-step walkthrough, and also answering some of my other questions in the process! :thup:

Thank you again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.