Recommendations on a free anti-virus program?

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
What would be the best free anti-virus program to get? A friend of mine wants me to clean up his PC, and I don't know if he has an anti-virus program, and I would like to install one for him so that he will have some sort of anti-virus protection :)

The only free anti-virus programs I know of are AVG and Avast. Which of those should I get, or is there a better alternative?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Avast cannot clean all the spyware infections out there. I actually, for the first time, failed to clean a PC of spyware and had to put it on the rack for later tries. I used Avast for the whole procedure, as well as Kasperasky trial and both could not get rid of the invasion. I did not try AVG. The PC was/is just too infected to keep trying to download stuff. I don't even like hooking it to my network.

duyen

Reaction score
What would be the best free anti-virus program to get? A friend of mine wants me to clean up his PC, and I don't know if he has an anti-virus program, and I would like to install one for him so that he will have some sort of anti-virus protection :)

The only free anti-virus programs I know of are AVG and Avast. Which of those should I get, or is there a better alternative?

I think you mean virus protection, because anti-virus protects against viruses.

Anyhow I use McAffee

Blackveiled

Formerly, Ban-Lord
Reaction score
Meh, AVG never really helped me out.

I prefer Kaspersky, even though it does cost money.

Grommo

Reaction score
Id recommend a combo of Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster and AVG. AVG is better than Avast! IMO. But theres also the Avira Antivir Personal Edition, its better than both AVG and Avast! and free too, but a bit more intrusive. So either AVG or Antivir + Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster for anti spyware! good luck!

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Id recommend a combo of Spybot Search and Destroy, Spyware Blaster and AVG. AVG is better than Avast! IMO.

I say Avast over AVG, and don't see the need for Spyware Blaster. SS&D is own.

@TH
Thumbdrive with an AV on it? You can hook it up to your internet, just don't set the network name to your current network. Worked for me.

Acterveld

Reaction score
Three letters... AVG, I stopped using it due to purchasing software, but it is DEFINATLEY the best free software out there, I highly recommend it! :thup:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.