Health Resistance training can improve sleep quality and reduce anxiety in those who likely have PTSD

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
A new study provides preliminary evidence that high-intensity resistance training can improve sleep quality and anxiety in adults with post-traumatic stress disorder. The research has been published in the journal Mental Health and Physical Activity.

“I’ve always enjoyed being physically active, but my interest in exercise for mental health and related issues (e.g., poor sleep quality) stems from my military days,” said study author James W. Whitworth, a postdoctoral researcher at the Boston VA Healthcare System and Boston University School of Medicine. (His comments do not necessarily represent the official views of the Department of Veterans Affairs.)

“When I was deployed to Iraq, my battle buddies and I would exercise to blow off steam and deal with the stressors of combat. It worked for us at the time and years later those experiences served as the impetus for my line research,” Whitworth explained.

For their study, the researchers recruited 22 participants who had reported having experienced at least one lifetime traumatic event and who had been screened positive for PTSD.

The participants were randomly assigned to one of two groups: a 3-week resistance training group or a 3-week control group. The resistance training group completed three, 30-minute high–intensity exercise sessions per week, while the control group completed three, 30-minute sessions of learning about various topics unrelated to exercise or PTSD per week.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.