Video Retro Computers and Classic Consoles are my Passion when it comes to YouTube

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Today on Tech Retrospective we continue our never-ending coverage of the Atari 8 bit line of retro computers. Up today is the Atari 1200XL, possibly the most polarizing of the Atari 8bit line. The Atari 400 and Atari 800 were moderate successes, but the Sweet-16 project led to the cray cool Atari 1000 and Atari 1000x. Which would have been great, except we never got them. No instead we got the 1200XL..... it's a mixed bag. But with competition from the TI99/4A and ESPECIALLY the Commodore 64, could it keep up?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I go over the SG-1000, Sega's first real entry into the home console market. I also look at 24 games from its library and a few of the variants that saw release elsewhere in the world.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
DEC - the PDP 11 computer was my first introduction to video games. Adventure and Super Star Trek on my dads PDP 11 plus all the Basic games I was playing games before just about anybody. Nobody else had a mini computer PDP 11 in their house in the 70s except for me :)

Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) was at one point the 2nd largest computer company in the world. Defining the mini computer, with its PDP range. It would eventually go one the create the VAX line of computers and its VMS operating system, and well as the Alpha processor. Its time to look at the history of DEC, and its PDP line of machines, and build the PDP-11 replica kit the PiDP-11

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I used to have a 3DO back in the day and I always loved it! It had some great games it was just way too expensive to ever catch on. It was a great Console though and this video goes through the Hardware Architecture and is very interesting!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I never had a Neo Geo. Always wanted one but never could have afforded the games anyway. I love the way it uses the Z80 just for sound. That is great!

The SNK Neo Geo AES released in 1990 and for the first time , brought the exact arcade experience to the home. In this episode we take a closer look at the Neo Geo and why it was so far advanced that its competition at the time.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
The Famous Zero Wing - All your base belong to us with the correct text! :)

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Slides and example code: https://bit.ly/3l0Ts1G The Atari 8-Bit computers such as the Atari 400 and 800 were affordable, fun, and capable machines for their time. Despite the 1 megahertz CPU, scarce memory (between 8 and 128 KB), programmers, especially game developers, could get a lot out of these machines.

Long video with a ton of information about the Atari 8 Bit line of computers, technical information and programming.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score

These videos are great really showcasing the games that actually looked good or were realistic or super deep showing what the Atari 2600 could really do when pushed.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
So cool to see new games still coming out for the Atari 8 bit line!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Attack of the PETSCII robots has been ported to a bunch of different systems including the Atari 7800. This is an interview with that versions developer at the 2022 PRGE - Portland Retro Gaming Expo.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool little system and actually quite awesome mobile technology at the time! It turned into one of the best sold handheld units in history.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Unboxing and testing the Plusdeck 2c, an audio cassette player for desktop computers! It fits into a 5.25-inch drive bay and offers the ability to play and capture tapes to digital files. Including MP3s, ooh. Let's install and try it out using the serial port on a Windows 98 PC!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Probably the coolest one-off computer ever designed. It is an absolute work of art and was so cutting-edge for the early sixties!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's take a extended look into the new Super Console X G6 PC Emulation Botacera machine from ali-express. Is this the machine that plays everything?
This thing is like 899 dollars as of this post. It has some serious specs!

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Breakdown and repair of a rare portable Commodore 64.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Explores the early CGA card options including obscure tech such as the Plantronics showing on real hardware and a little EGA stuff.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a 3DO back in the day and I loved that console. This was supposed to be the next generation of that hardware but ended up getting bought out by Panasonic for a presentation kiosk which is the subject of this video. Good Stuff!

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the more accurate Atari Jaguar histories. Not much new here but giving props to what I see as accurate reporting.

Last edited:

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Never heard of the Sol-20 a 1970s home computer that was very ahead of its time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.