Robo Warz!

Cal1991

Reaction score
The Robo Warz thread rises from the graveyard to live again!

In case you don't already know, Robo Warz is a footman wars type game, but with tons of robots!

Also, the heroes are more balanced than your typical footman wars game becuase they have varying armor and attack types to counter each other.
There is also a set of heroes for each tech level (i.e., tier) and a good player will get a new hero several times. You can transfer exp from one hero to another using the Mind Swap item and you can sell your old heroes in your Battle Factory or Assembly Plant.

If you like footman wars games and you like robots, you will love this game. :D

Please play and tell me what you think, comments/criticism are appreciated!

Download Link:

http://www.epicwar.com/maps/download/13769/Robo Warz 1.68b.w3x

Screenshots:

http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/RoboScrnshot1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/RoboScrnshot3.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/RoboScrnshot9.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/Map.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/RoboScrnshot2.JPG

Corleone

Reaction score
It's great! I like the fact that there's an AI.
Only one thing was stopped me from finishing the game; at the end I had a hero dealing 2k damage per hit with a very fast attack speed. However, the enemy had SO many bots that I couldn't possibly kill them all --> The enemy bots respawn way too quickly. I even made a second hero ( just as powerful ) and tried to do it with those two, but it was still impossible to get rid of all the enemies.

Evan1993

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
However, the enemy had SO many bots that I couldn't possibly kill them all --> The enemy bots respawn way too quickly. I even made a second hero ( just as powerful ) and tried to do it with those two, but it was still impossible to get rid of all the enemies.

Wow, you must have waited a long time to attack them if they had that many.

What kinds of items did you have on your hero? It sounds like you could have used a super freezer, or one of the better weapons in the weapon list. (or maybe self-destruct :p )

Cal1991

Reaction score
It's great! I like the fact that there's an AI.
Only one thing was stopped me from finishing the game; at the end I had a hero dealing 2k damage per hit with a very fast attack speed. However, the enemy had SO many bots that I couldn't possibly kill them all --> The enemy bots respawn way too quickly. I even made a second hero ( just as powerful ) and tried to do it with those two, but it was still impossible to get rid of all the enemies.

Thanks for your reply!

Each player gets 5 spawns every 45 seconds, which I don't think is un-reasonably fast.
If your hero did that much damage you should have been able to take down your opponent's main factory to stop their spawning. They could always revive it with the rebuild main factory item, but if you killed all their heroes, assembly plants, battle factories and worker bots you would have it won no matter how many units they had.

Or, maybe you needed a hero better designed to kill spawns then heroes. For example both the Missile Mech and Slayer Mech have a very hard time killing spawns but can take down almost any other hero in the game, while a hero like the Jumper Mech has a lot of strong area of effect abilities but does poorly vs heroes.

Evan's suggestions were good ones too.

Corleone

Reaction score
Well, my first hero was the unit with the Revenant model. 1,8k damage per hit and a very fast attack speed. I killed 1 unit every 3 seconds or so, but they just kept coming. Made the second hero, and they still kept coming. By the way, I had been playing for over an hour ( had +~100k gold =P )

Cal1991

Reaction score
Well, my first hero was the unit with the Revenant model. 1,8k damage per hit and a very fast attack speed. I killed 1 unit every 3 seconds or so, but they just kept coming. Made the second hero, and they still kept coming. By the way, I had been playing for over an hour ( had +~100k gold =P )

You stuck with a tier 1 hero the whole game?? And you had 100k and didn't use it? I think I can see why you had a hard time finishing them off. :p

Still, you must have been having fun to keep playing that long, so amen brotha.
Do you play on Azeroth or Lordaeron? I'd like to do a game with ya sometime.

Corleone

Reaction score
You stuck with a tier 1 hero the whole game?? And you had 100k and didn't use it? I think I can see why you had a hard time finishing them off. :p

Still, you must have been having fun to keep playing that long, so amen brotha.
Do you play on Azeroth or Lordaeron? I'd like to do a game with ya sometime.

Northrend :p

I got a Tier 3 hero later on, but he was much weaker. The Life/Mana drain ability is rather gimp btw. 475 mana and 175 hp isn't that much when you've got 61% life steal and deal 1,8k damage ^_^

By the way, I killed loads and loads of his bots, but they just kept coming.

Cal1991

Reaction score
Northrend :p
I never get on northrend, tho I could if there was a set time you usually get on I guess.
I got a Tier 3 hero later on, but he was much weaker. The Life/Mana drain ability is rather gimp btw. 475 mana and 175 hp isn't that much when you've got 61% life steal and deal 1,8k damage ^_^
It might seem kind of weak, but it is pretty strong early game and it works VERY well with mana shield or to counter mana shield. Plus, it purges the unit you cast it on so it can be used as slow/dispell too.
Maybe I should take down that life steal a little...

Terrabull

Veteran Member (Done that)
Reaction score
My friends and I played, and we figured out that the flying hero is the best hero in the game and now we outlaw him because we've realised there is no point to playing w/o outlawing him because everyone is going to pick him. I can't remember why, they would have to give you more information, we played this a while ago.

Cal1991

Reaction score
My friends and I played, and we figured out that the flying hero is the best hero in the game and now we outlaw him because we've realised there is no point to playing w/o outlawing him because everyone is going to pick him. I can't remember why, they would have to give you more information, we played this a while ago.

There was a time when the "flying hero" was incredibly imbalanced because the weapon items did full damage on his illusions.

If you played an old version were it was still like that, I'm not surprised you outlawed him, but I fixed that now and the weapon items correctly do 10% on illusions instead of 100%.
His mirror image ability is still a wee bit on the strong side when he is lvl 20 with a ton of really strong items, but otherwise I can't think why you would consider him imbalanced.
You may think Fly ability+orb item to attack ground is imba, but he does a lot less damage vs ground when flying and a lot less vs air when landed.

Anyways, thanks for the comment. :shades:

Aqua Dragon

I'm made of water. Remember that now.
Reaction score
So Far it sounds good, but I would suggest changing the tiling and walling, To make it seem a little more futuristic. I mean come on, why are robots inside a place that looks like it was built by orcs?

Cal1991

Reaction score
So Far it sounds good, but I would suggest changing the tiling and walling, To make it seem a little more futuristic. I mean come on, why are robots inside a place that looks like it was built by orcs?

I would like to point out that in many good robot games you don't fight in futuristic terrain most of the time (Mech Warrior and Total Annhilation come to mind), and that you do not have to have futuristic terrain to make a good robot game.

I would like to have better terrain, but I only know of single custom terrain tiles that would clash terribly with normal tiles, and thus I would have to tile the entire map with the single custom tile or it would look really weird.

And 1 single custom tile over everything isn’t much better than what I have now, imo, and it would take up way more space, not to mention wasting the work I have already put into the terrain.

If you know of a futuristic tile set with multiple kinds of tiles, I would be very interested in trying it out. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna stick with what I have, custom tiles can be buggy (or so I hear) and the download time for my game is already pretty long.

As always, your comments are appreciated. :cool:

BTW: Just updated map link to most recent version. If you find any bugs or imbalances, please tell me.

Daskunk

SC2 Forum MVP - TheSkunk #386
Reaction score
Your 1# Fan....

I bow down to the Almighty Cal1991! I am really too addicted to this game. I remember when you first gave this to me (for a B-day present;) ) I thought "oh drat I HATE footmen frenzy" And when I played robo warz it seemed so confusing and not to fun. Back then it was so much different. Not that being addicted is bad, but I always see other games and think “WOW I should play that!” Then I think of robo warz and I think I’d much rather play robo warz.Also my ladder is TERRIBLE witch makes me feel guilty. It’s all I play and yet I still learn new things each time!

(First post ^.^ )

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
I thought it was another footmen freenzy but I liked it better. The one thing that you might want to improve is AI. I cant host so couldnt play with friends just played AI. Although the AI is fairly good, it never attacked me, so I just saved up lots of money, teched never got a hero and won.

Thanatos_820

Death is Not the End
Reaction score
Heh, this map was worth playing :). The team 1 AI doesn't seem to destroy their heroes and switch to tier 2, 3, 4, or 5 heroes. Also, to build up on that, they don't seem to revive their heroes after an hour or so :(. So I got my hero to tier 5 and switched to the uhh....I forgot the hero...but its icon was a Goliath. I started massing Tomes of Technolgy (For my hero of course, a couple of +3 stats will be worth it :)) and owned the AI :D! Well, sometimes they do changes heroes....but not all the time.

Evan1993

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Heh, this map was worth playing :).
Glad you liked it. :)
The team 1 AI doesn't seem to destroy their heroes and switch to tier 2, 3, 4, or 5 heroes. Also, to build up on that, they don't seem to revive their heroes after an hour or so :(.

They never get tier 2, 3 and 5 heroes, but its supposed to get a tier 4 one, and I've noticed that it doesn't get it sometimes too, maybe they don't have enough food.

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
Sorry I didnt save a replay. But basically I was playing against 3 comps, 1 in each corner. All I did was tech and attack green (bottom left). Then me and lightblue (bottom right) destroyed purple (top right). Then after about 20 minutes of saving up, was able to destroy lightblue with a uber hero. If lightblue had attacked me once I would have been gone.

Lightblue did attack purple and green, however I was never actually attacked at my base except for in the center.

Cal1991

Reaction score
Glad to see some people are liking it :D

Yes, the AI isn't very good and is slightly buggy. I don't really like playing vs the computer myself, so I didn't put a lot of work into it, but I'll try to improve it a bit next version.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.