Scart vs svideo vs composite

P

Peterg

Hey guys, is there something wrong with the output of the nuon? Checked svideo for the first time and it is much cleaner and sharper than even the scart output. Is that a known thing? Did anyone else notice? I was blown away playing IS3 yesterday since it never looked that good before.

Oh and another question I can't seem to find an answer to.
I have modded 505. They guys who did it used connectors like those on old Atari Joysticks. Is anything preventing me to make an adapter so I can connect a Jag joypad to the Nuon? WOuld the nuon be able to read the pad? I thought probably not but I wanted to ask.
Thanks a lot guys

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh and another question I can't seem to find an answer to.
I have modded 505. They guys who did it used connectors like those on old Atari Joysticks. Is anything preventing me to make an adapter so I can connect a Jag joypad to the Nuon? WOuld the nuon be able to read the pad? I thought probably not but I wanted to ask.
Thanks a lot guys

NUON uses special Joysticks. The Jag joypad would not work.

P

Peterg

NUON uses special Joysticks. The Jag joypad would not work.

Ok what is it that makes them special? Is there a chip inside? Does it get another signal? I once made a Joystick for my Jag and it did work. I looked at the schematics and soldered the cables to the jag pad. So I asume the Buttons from the Jagpad can't be mapped to the Nuon buttons and d pad?

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess it would depend on the connector you are plugging into. If the connector that you have is supposed to let you use a Jag Joystick then maybe it would work. You will probably have to wait for one of the guys to answer you here on the why of it.

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
It's all about the protocol.

The old Atari joysticks used a separate pin for each of the four directions and button. Sega used the same thing, hence why Genesis pads work on the 2600. I don't know how the Jag works.

Modern game systems use a serial interface that relies on a special communications protocol. PS3, Xbox, or NUON require the signals to come in a certain way in order to be understood. To use one controller on another system you would need some way to translate the button/pad state into the correct protocol.

S

schendstok

Hey guys, is there something wrong with the output of the nuon? Checked svideo for the first time and it is much cleaner and sharper than even the scart output. Is that a known thing? Did anyone else notice? I was blown away playing IS3 yesterday since it never looked that good before.

I never had that problem on my modded N505 or N504 players.
If I'm not mistaken you could select the output signal type of the scart port.
(Scart supports composite, s-video and RGB). I always selected RGB and that looks better than s-video on my television set. If your selected output is composite than the s-video port would look much better.

midnight8

NUON & Atari VCS Forum Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's all about the protocol.

The old Atari joysticks used a separate pin for each of the four directions and button. Sega used the same thing, hence why Genesis pads work on the 2600. I don't know how the Jag works.

Modern game systems use a serial interface that relies on a special communications protocol. PS3, Xbox, or NUON require the signals to come in a certain way in order to be understood. To use one controller on another system you would need some way to translate the button/pad state into the correct protocol.

there is a chip in the jaguar also but it must works different than the nuon. you would as far as i know have 8 pins not counting the number pad. the nuon only uses four pins to read the controller. someone would have to do a lot of work to make the 2 work together I would think.

P

Peterg

Hey guys thanks for the answers, well then I guess there will be no Jag pad on the nuon for me since I would not know how to translate it. Too bad. I had my hopes up for a second because my connectors are of the genesis type but given that only four wires are connected it makes sense that I can't use the jaguarpad .
Alright did not know that I can choose the output on scart. Then I guess it has to be on composite. I'm gonna check it out. Thanks a lot again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.