WIP Spell Book

Genkora

Frog blast the vent core!
Reaction score
I just made a sort of testing map for something I thought would be awesome. Spell books that can be traded around between heroes, but not just that, the books would also retain any spells added by triggers! The coding is not complex, it isn't Jass (I don't know it and don't use the WE enough to make learning it worth my time), and this probably isn't an original idea. I'm sure someone has had this idea and made a way for this to work much better than me. Anyway, it will only work if there is only one of each type of book.

What I really want to do is make a map where players can buy spell books and add scrolls to them that add spells, but this seems impossible without Jass. (and having them also able to exchange these spell books)

Well, I don't want this to turn into a WE help question, I just want an opinion if you think it's a cool idea. So far there are four different spell books and an ultimate spell for each one, and I put two heroes to show that the added ability stays when you swap the books around.

Genkora

Reaction score
I don't need a tutorial, if you had looked at my map or even read my post a little closer you would have known I already am familiar with them. Thanks though, I guess.

Xienoph

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Interesting idea.

Right now, a scroll can only be used for a specific spell book. Are you going to allow the player to use a purple scroll, on, say, red book? It might be interesting to let the player mix their own spells.

Also, limiting the number of spells to some low number can make it interesting. Since the player can't add all the scrolls in the game, they have to make sure that they're building a balanced spell book.

Genkora

Reaction score
Interesting idea.

Right now, a scroll can only be used for a specific spell book. Are you going to allow the player to use a purple scroll, on, say, red book? It might be interesting to let the player mix their own spells.

Also, limiting the number of spells to some low number can make it interesting. Since the player can't add all the scrolls in the game, they have to make sure that they're building a balanced spell book.

I've considered this, but to do that the spell books wouldn't be droppable, which would be an ok thing in itself I suppose. Perhaps I could have each player start off with a blank spell book that is an already learned ability that can't be dropped and the acquire spells along the way. They could also find other special spell books that would function like the ones in my attachment. Hm, I like this, now I just have to apply it to a map type.

Legacyspy

Reaction score
If this is any help, if you disable an ability thats in a spell book viewed through clicking an item with spell book, the ability won't appear. If you enable it it will. In this way you could "add" spells to item spellbooks with out also having a spellbook ability on the hero.

Genkora

Reaction score
If this is any help, if you disable an ability thats in a spell book viewed through clicking an item with spell book, the ability won't appear. If you enable it it will. In this way you could "add" spells to item spellbooks with out also having a spellbook ability on the hero.

nice try, but you can't add abilities to items through triggers. and even if you could, you can't even open spellbooks that are on items in the first place. The only way to make this work is to add the ability to the hero when the item is picked up, and remove them when the item is dropped, which is what I have done. I know how to use spell books, please stop trying to tell me how to use them!

Again, I don't want help on spell books, I want opinions on what I have made thus far on the attachment at the top. although a couple of you seem to think I am asking for help on making spell books.

Legacyspy

Reaction score
nice try, but you can't add abilities to items through triggers. and even if you could, you can't even open spellbooks that are on items in the first place. The only way to make this work is to add the ability to the hero when the item is picked up, and remove them when the item is dropped, which is what I have done. I know how to use spell books, please stop trying to tell me how to use them!

Again, I don't want help on spell books, I want opinions on what I have made thus far on the attachment at the top. although a couple of you seem to think I am asking for help on making spell books.

You are mis understanding me and also are slightly confused about spell books.

1. Spell books on items can be opened. This is what the spell book item DOES. It is an item. You click and you get a new menu with entangle, roar and dispel.
So you are
A. Wrong
B. In need of more information of spell books.

2. If you disable, lets say roar for a player, when that player opens the basic spell book item he will see only entangle and dispel magic. If one were then to enable roar, he would also see roar.

3. I was providing an opinion, that your current system can be replaced by the system I proposed. Your current system is flawed because it uses both an inventory space, and a hero icon space, when you only need 1 or the other. I also gave you a method to do this:

What I really want to do is make a map where players can buy spell books and add scrolls to them that add spells, but this seems impossible without Jass. (and having them also able to exchange these spell books)

And you also wont have to worry about this:

Anyway, it will only work if there is only one of each type of book.

You act like you know everything when you clearly don't.

Genkora

Reaction score
disabling abilities would be problematic though because it wouldn't be contained to one single spell book.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.