Spell Contest II

Pyrogasm

There are some who would use any excuse to ban me.
Reaction score
uareanoob said:
What?

If you want someone to be objectional about it, I could do some coding grading. But that would kind-of nullify my entry; I could give myself 50% on the coding grade no matter how good it was.

Tom Jones

N/A
Reaction score
If you want to co-jugde, have a look at this:
Contest Rules said:
c) Judging rules
- there can be up to three judges per contest but they must all have granted user-permission in the area they are judging.
- you must specify which areas each judge takes care of.
- an area may be covered by more than one judge.
- initiator must be a judge of the contest and cover at least one third of the areas (number of areas / 3, rounded up).
- judges are responsable to argument and give explanations, where necessary, about the judging of the contest or the results.

U are a noob

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
MSI is multi save instantainable which means you can save half way through the spell and it will still finish after. I dont know where i read about it but the method was interesting.
If you want someone to be objectional about it, I could do some coding grading. But that would kind-of nullify my entry; I could give myself 50% on the coding grade no matter how good it was.
If you judge then you wont be able to enter. Also if you judge coding it will only be for JASS and I will judge GUI.
But if you dont have jass new gen how will you grade vJass?
If you wan't to co-jugde, have a look at this:
why did you type wan't? just wondering.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Souls generic but lets see how you pull it together.

Souls? haha, anyways.
I've been thinking, maybe I could make it so the "time slowage" travels out in a shockwave (erhm, not the ability).
That'd be cooler =D

BTW: Learnt from last time, I am starting the spell now :D

Oh, and you can be exited. My map won't be the usual 32x32 dirt with footmen and knights (lol), it looks somewhat good!!! (Well no masterpiece but better than 32x32 flat piece of dirt!)

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
Well, uareanoob has agreed to have me judge the JASS coding for this contest, and as such there is now a coding grade. That also means I can't enter, but I think I'll be making a spell just for fun.

Do I have to do anything like submitting a sample to a moderator to prove that I know what I'm doing? If so, my 'sample' would be my submission to emjlr3's Second Spell Contest: Temporal Fluxuation (3rd post down).

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Well, uareanoob has agreed to have me judge the JASS coding for this contest, and as such there is now a coding grade.

Woot!
I hope my JASS is good 'nuff in your eyes.
I could probably get a higher coding grade if I did it in GUI, but I don't like using GUI anymore since I know JASS, lol.

Question:
Will we lose marks on grading if we don't use constants in the coding?

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
I would grade you down for not using constants, yes. Since you're in JASS, you might as well, and it'll make things easier on your part for balancing later on.

And I don't know how evil I'm going to feel when I grade things, but if you do things like naming all your variables like "a", "r", "m", etc., I might deduct points for problems with general understandability of the code.

I do not, however, know how much the coding grade will be worth until uareanoob decides.

Reaction score
I think I make a simple ability for this one, because "Speed" is quite limited theme for a contest I think. Maybe I do a "Dash" spell, using my own unique Fade System 1.3. :D

U are a noob

Reaction score
I think I make a simple ability for this one, because "Speed" is quite limited theme for a contest I think. Maybe I do a "Dash" spell, using my own unique Fade System 1.3. :D

Really? I thought speed was a very broad theme.
And yes there now will be a coding grade. Wait until I get a general layout for coding grade and I will post it.

Reaction score
>I thought speed was a very broad theme.
I don't know the verb, but it is a good theme, but I don't have many ideas for it.

Doom-Angel

Jass User (Just started using NewGen)
Reaction score
i made a spell long ago and i never realy posted in the forum so i think i can convert it to jass and use it i will see about that already since i don't have much time but that shouldn't take long.....

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
Few Qs
Are be allowed to make a spell for this contest and then use it for something else?
Why sholud we get ranked down for not using constants?
I don't even see the use for them.
Are we allowed to stick random stuff down on the map to improve its overall 'coolness', basically make the spell seem better looking?

U are a noob

Reaction score
Are be allowed to make a spell for this contest and then use it for something else?
Yes.

Why sholud we get ranked down for not using constants?
It has not been decided yet but if so the reason would be for easier use for other players.
Are we allowed to stick random stuff down on the map to improve its overall 'coolness', basically make the spell seem better looking?
Yes. But the spell will not get more points.

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
kc102 said:
Comments + locals = constants + comments
No.

Comments + locals = one has to go through the entire spell trying to find where each value is located, and once one does find them all, one might have to change each value multiple times and/or might not have the ability to change everything one wishes about said part to configure.

Constants (Which don't need comments if the function has a good name) = Easy configuration because one only has to look in the "Configuration" section of the spell instead of hunting around for everything, the ability to find where each value is used in the spell, and one may fuck with them as much as one wants because of greater versatility.

Tell me which one you'd rather see:
JASS:
function SomeSpell takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer l = GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetTriggerUnit(), 'A005') //The spell's ID
    local real a = 60.00 //The damage for the spell; is multiplied by the level
    local string s = "SomePath.mdl" //The effect
    local real r = 2.00 //The time between pulses

//Do some stuff in the spell
endfunction

Or...
JASS:
//*******Configuration*******
constant function SomeSpell_AbilityId takes nothing returns integer
    return 'A005'
endfunction

constant function SomeSpell_Damage takes integer Level returns real
    return 60.00*Level
endfunction

constant function SomeSpell_PulseInterval takes integer Level returns real
    return 2.00*Level
endfunction

constant function SomeSpell_SFX takes integer Level returns string
    return "SomePath.mdl"
endfunction
//****End of Configuration****

local integer Level = GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetTriggerUnit(), SomeSpell_AbilityId())
    local real Damage = SomeSpell_Damage(Level)
    local string EffectPath = SomeSpell_SFX(Level)
    local real Interval = SomeSpell_PulseInterval(Level)

endfunction

U are a noob

Reaction score
JASS:
//*******Configuration*******
constant function SomeSpell_AbilityId takes nothing returns integer
    return 'A005'
endfunction

constant function SomeSpell_Damage takes integer Level returns real
    return 60.00*Level
endfunction

constant function SomeSpell_PulseInterval takes integer Level returns real
    return 2.00*Level
endfunction

constant function SomeSpell_SFX takes integer Level returns string
    return "SomePath.mdl"
endfunction
//****End of Configuration****

local integer Level = GetUnitAbilityLevel(GetTriggerUnit(), SomeSpell_AbilityId())
    local real Damage = SomeSpell_Damage(Level)
    local string EffectPath = SomeSpell_SFX(Level)
    local real Interval = SomeSpell_PulseInterval(Level)

endfunction
Constants.

Pyrogasm

Reaction score
I suppose if you really wanted to you could use globals declared in a globals block if you're using vJASS.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.