Health Stand-Up Desks Gaining Favor in the Workplace.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
THE health studies that conclude that people should sit less, and get up and move around more, have always struck me as fitting into the “well, duh” category.

But a closer look at the accumulating research on sitting reveals something more intriguing, and disturbing: the health hazards of sitting for long stretches are significant even for people who are quite active when they’re not sitting down. That point was reiterated recently in two studies, published in The British Journal of Sports Medicine and in Diabetologia, a journal of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.

Suppose you stick to a five-times-a-week gym regimen, as I do, and have put in a lifetime of hard cardio exercise, and have a resting heart rate that’s a significant fraction below the norm. That doesn’t inoculate you, apparently, from the perils of sitting.

The research comes more from observing the health results of people’s behavior than from discovering the biological and genetic triggers that may be associated with extended sitting. Still, scientists have determined that after an hour or more of sitting, the production of enzymes that burn fat in the body declines by as much as 90 percent. Extended sitting, they add, slows the body’s metabolism of glucose and lowers the levels of good (HDL) cholesterol in the blood. Those are risk factors toward developing heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG! The world hasnt changed at all! Still everything, absolutely everything, is going to kill me! Well done to remind me of this, again.
I wonder how mankind was even able to survive this long if even sitting is killing you.

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
Real men don't sit. They crouch, with their legs bent at 90 degrees, upper legs being parallel to the ground.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
The results have been workstations that allow modern information workers to stand, even walk, while toiling at a keyboard.
Seems like a good idea. lol

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Real men don't sit. They crouch, with their legs bent at 90 degrees, upper legs being parallel to the ground.
Seriously?

Real men don't sit. They crouch, with their KNEES bent at 90 degrees, their THIGHS being parallel to the ground.

And that isn't crouching.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
It would be impossible to stand or crouch in the manner described. You'd fall flat on your ass faster than you could take the stance. But I get where you're coming from. It was meant to be a joke, right?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
They crouch, with their KNEES bent at 90 degrees, their THIGHS being parallel to the ground.
Knees are the joints - they don't actually bend, and thighs = upper legs.
Tom's still right, except it's not crouching, it's squatting.

You'd fall flat on your ass faster than you could take the stance.
I actually managed about .10 seconds of this, so I assume someone with stronger leg muscles would be able to do it more easily.

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
And people laugh at me when I stand at my desk every hour or so, programmin' or writing.
I don't like sitting for too long, not because of studies like these but, because it feels.. stiff, I duno.

So, bonus points for me?

Varine

Reaction score
Knees are the joints - they don't actually bend, and thighs = upper legs.
Tom's still right, except it's not crouching, it's squatting.

Yes, I am aware of that you little gnome. I was inserting the correct words so that he didn't look like a retard if he would like to change it.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I am aware of that you little gnome. I was inserting the correct words so that he didn't look like a retard if he would like to change it.
English is not his native language, i doubt i would have used the "correct" words either.

Varine

Reaction score
Well now it's corrected and my work is done.

And I'm on my feet all day - stand up desk is no good. If there is a desk, it's meant to be sat at.

FireCat

Reaction score
Yeah, it might be so ^

A "chair is Moar comfortable to sit on then a desk Don't you think so? Varine

tom_mai78101

Staff member
Reaction score
I will have to disagree with you, FireCat. A beanbag is more comfy than a chair, yet they both function the same. If you're saying that we should sit on a desk, why not put our feet on the desk? Sitting and putting up our feet have the same comfortable feeling, but having your feet up on the desk gives off more charisma.

Wynaut?

A "chair is Moar comfortable to sit on then a desk Don't you think so? Varine
Close the quotes... D:<

FireCat

Reaction score
I will have to disagree with you, FireCat. A beanbag is more comfy than a chair, yet they both function the same.

Close the quotes... D:<
Maybe it's comfortable on a Bean Bag. But there's is chair you can lay down in it.
doesn't it sounds more comfortable eh?

Hmm "close it .. Nah LOL Btw: its not quotes

Varine

Reaction score
I said sit at a desk.

And I am seriously worried about your mental stability. How many forms would you be willing to sign?

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Firecat, you'e got this impressive ability to shrug off 'shit-talk,' for lack of a better word. Is it because you've reached some sort of elusive inner peace within yourself, or because you're batshit fuckin' crazy? No offense meant there, in all honesty; the way you think is just so baffling to me that I feel it deserves such an exclamation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.