Starfall-like Channeling

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible, using the channel spell, to make an ability that is being used like starfall. I mean: you start casting it, nothing becomes disabled, but if you give an order to the hero it will stop the casting and do it. Stunning and dying will also stop the spell. I think I know how to trigger it, just make an if condition in the loop(s) of the spell, but how to get channel to act like starfall (not the spell itself, but what happens to the icon and what happens when you give orders) when casting it?

Rad

Reaction score
Copy all the art etc from starfall onto channel, edit the data (make sure u check visible)... just change follow through time to the duration of the effect etc... if u want damage u gotta do that with triggers but dont ask me
Should work with the area of effect and no target

Grundy

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
make a trigger that does what ever you want it to do when ever you want it to do it.... like if you have a channeled spell thats supposed to stun a unit for 1 second every 2 seconds while its being channeled:

E: periodic time event, every 2 seconds of game time
C: none
A: pause (channeled_stun_target)
create special effect using (bash model) above (channeled_stun_target)'s head
wait 1 second
destroy special effect
unpause unit

make this trigger initially off.
make another trigger for when you start channeling the spell
E: a unit starts channeling a spell
C: spell being cast equal to channeled stun
A: set channeled_stun_target equal to target of ability being cast
turn on (the trigger above)

and to turn it the effect off:
E: a unit stops channeling a spell
C: spell equal to channeled stun (im not sure if this condition will work, migh have to change it)
A: turn off (the first trigger i showed)

so when you start channeling it should start to stun it every 2 seconds untill you stop channeling, duration wore off, channeling unit died, got stunned, moved, whatever.

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
It seems like you don't get what I mean. I mean: how to configure channel so that it will look the same as starfall, tranquility or any other channeling spell like that while casting. I do not mean the effects of starfall, just how you cast it. How to configure channel so that when you move, the unit automatically stop channeling the spell and starts moving. I know how to trigger the stopping of the spell then.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
I dont understand because every channel ability stops in your cases when ure stunned or dead. However if ure building a dummy ability then u must use start effects of an ability rather then begins casting/channeling

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Sigh, I will try to explain it once more. Ok, you cast starfall, a green border comes around the icon to indicate that it is being used. When something happens to the unit (the unit gets an order, gets stunned, is killed etc.) it immediatly stops casting the spell, the green border disappears and instead you just have the icon with the cooldown mask over it. Now I want to know how to configure channel so that you get that green border around it during the casting and when something happens to the unit it will stop channeling, so the trigger can detect it.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
Ok if i understand now u want a trigger to detect when a channel ability is forced to stop?

Code:
Event-Unit starts the effect of ability
conditions-ability equal to starfall
actions-If/then/else
           If unit stops the effects of ability
           then your trigger
           else your trigger

Of course this trigger has problems becouse it will run after the ability is normaly finished but try messing around you can find the answer

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
No, as I said, I do know how to create the trigger but I want to know how to configure the channel spell.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
With a bit of luck, it will work if you put the channeling time in "Follow through time"
and "disable other abilities" to false...

Then again, that may just be a wild guess ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.