Stopping Item Ability

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackRose

Forum User
Hi,

So there's this ability that is attached to an item (that is, you use the item to cast the ability). I want the unit to abort casting this ability if it does not meet the casting requirements.

So far I've tried doing these on the "unit begins casting an ability" event but to no avail:
  • Pausing the unit, ordering a stop order, and then unpausing: This does nothing, cooldown still goes into effect.
  • Removing the item, and then adding the item: This actually works, but the problem is with the item cooldown thingy. If you used the ability successfully at first, picked up some reset ability tome, then cast it unsuccessfully, the item would still be in cooldown because of that.

Another idea I have is to base the ability off Carrion Swarm or something that doesn't allow you to target cliff edges / unpathable areas so the Warcraft III engine causes you to pick a different target location.

Any thoughts?

skyblader

You're living only because it's illegal killing.
Might be complicated but why don't you just make a dummy abilit that cannot be casted at all, maybe require it to target a tree. If this registers the unit begins casting an ability, then you can check if the conditions are met, if yes then give it the real ability, cast it for him and then remove the dummy ability, until the cooldown is over, then replace the abilities again?

Or you could just reset the abilities (I suppose your hero has more than 1 ability, so this won't work anyway :p)

Or you could try it without pauses. Somehow I've been able to allow units to cast the ability without touching the cooldown at all in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Friday Yay!
  • mgarcia mgarcia:
    did you guys catch Carl's interview? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuHiMXABkGs
  • mgarcia mgarcia:
    he's the one that informed me about the DVD's working!
  • mgarcia mgarcia:
    he also mentioned the progress on the controllers!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I did actually it was cool to see the NUON mention
  • The Helper The Helper:
    https://discord.com/channels/985377399338332202/985377399950696481 you can still use this chat too we are two fisted now :)
  • thewrongvine thewrongvine:
    costs me $80 to fill gas tank sad face
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Oof
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Yeah that gas is some expensive stuff :)
  • The Helper The Helper:
    ghan does not have to worry about it he has a tesla and I have a small tank so it does not cost me usually more than 50
  • The Helper The Helper:
    fyi Ghan we are getting an error trying to access stats or world editor tutorials Error 526 Ray ID: 72128c6bf99f6707 • 2022-06-26 02:35:15 UTCInvalid SSL certificate
  • Ghan Ghan:
    An artifact of switching to Cloudflare... the Let's Encrypt certs can't autorenew through Cloudflare.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    I got the forum updated before things expired but there were some other casualties.
  • Ghan Ghan:
    Everything should be fixed now....
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Thank you Ghan!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    Happy Monday!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    new NUON forum mod cubanral!
    +1
  • The Helper The Helper:
  • tom_mai78101 tom_mai78101:
    Started learning how to make tools-assisted speedruns, so I'm lately busy.
    Here's my current project.
    +3
  • O Old Mountain Shadow:
    that was pretty good!
  • jonas jonas:
    really cool! I saw the game before but always thought it's just a half as good double dragon. Now I realize it actually has a lot of depth!
  • The Helper The Helper:
    I just saw a bunch of running and jumping past all the enemies look like it was scripted as he said I guess I should have watched the whole thing. I only got a couple of minutes in. You should post that video in the forum Tom
  • Darthfett Darthfett:
    "Hi in the chat!"
    +1
    Currently busy with making the run even better, so I'll post that new one once I'm done. Right now, I had to modify the emulator itself, the tools that makes this video, and some RAM address disassembling / reverse-engineering to get the right values, and such.
    +1

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.