Sci/Tech Strange Creature Immune to Pain

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
As vulnerable as naked mole rats seem, researchers now find the hairless, bucktoothed rodents are invulnerable to the pain of acid and the sting of chili peppers.

A better understanding of pain resistance in these sausage-like creatures could lead to new drugs for people with chronic pain, scientists added.

Naked mole rats live in cramped, oxygen-starved burrows some six feet underground in central East Africa. Unusually, they are cold-blooded — which, as far as anyone knows, is unique among mammals.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Why did they interview that ugly son of a rat!? I am as immune to pain as it is!

Jessi

I'm so green. Like a Machine.
Reaction score
What was that movie with the guy with the bullet in his head, that stopped him feeling pain? He looked kind of like that rat.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Yeah! And he squeezed a burning rock, and his henchmen were like.. woah.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
how cute.

does it come in blue?

---

Either way, thats a pretty damn awesome. Being immune to pain...

But isn't pain a nerological effect used to warn us of danger in which could lead to our death and without pain we could cut our stomach open and not know?

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Yes, it is. But let's say you have a pain, that won't kill you, or you know it will eventually, but it's just always there. This could make it go away. You already know it's there, but you just don't feel it, and enjoy the last bits of life you have left, without any pain.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
That picture is pretty intense. Somebody ought to utilize that in some Photshops.

Flare

Stops copies me!
Reaction score
Why did they interview that ugly son of a rat!?

Maybe it's a daughter of a mole :p and yes it is ugly ^^. well, super-powered mole rat painkillers would be useful (i couldve used them before :S).

although, wouldnt the development of new drugs based around that... find... modify a persons genes to some extent? surely, an immunity to pain would be a genetic thing, so the drugs would have mole rat genes and all that?

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
So... are they like torturing it or something?

There are people that are immune to pain, too. I watched a TV show on them once and apperantly it sucks.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Now they can know what causes them to be immune to pain, and they can help with diseases that cause a lot of pain.
Try reading the article.

darkRae

Ueki Fan (Ueki is watching you)
Reaction score
So does that mean bye-bye to anesthetics?

> But let's say you have a pain, that won't kill you, or you know it will eventually, but it's just always there.

Does 'itching' count? :p

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
Don't forget that just because the thing doesn't register pain doesn't mean it doesn't feel anything. It can feel impact or heat [in the instance of acid] and not feel pain... It'll still be warned to injury, just in a different way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.