Terraining Question

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
Background:
I'm making an RPG, and there's going to be an instance where you approach a crypt, and go through the entrance. So now you're in an underground crypt.

Now, as you know, you can't actually go underground in warcraft III. So I put a region at the entrance of the crypt, and when you enter it you get teleported to another area, that's supposed to be underground.

Now my question is: what is a good way of creating an "underground" feeling using just what warcraft gives you? (I'm not against importing a few models, but I don't want to have to import huge numbers.) How would you go about terraining a crypt?

Thanks! +rep to anything helpful

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
Well, there are whole tilesets based on underground. Have you tried looking at some of them?

Also placing doodads of rocks, etc help as well as pausing the game time at darkness. (You don't want the sun to affect the world when you're "underground").

Bankde

Reaction score
I've seen some map making some doodads like cave or underground. They look like big dome or something. (Find model on web about this dome, I think there will not be more than 1-3 models.) They will be block the vision from above but you just set camera to vision from below when unit entering cave. (Because you are making RPG so in game there is only one unit per player)

Moridin

Snow Leopard
Reaction score
The big dome doodad is a default. You don't need to search for a custom model on the web.

Bogrim

y hello thar
Reaction score
Here's my cent: Import the "Abyss" tile from outland (cliff base types - 3). It's very good to make shadowed areas. For example:

dark-cave.jpg

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Unfortunately, I have modified my tileset and no longer have any more tiles that I can use.

About the big dome: I have tried placing it in my map and it appears to have no effect, even when I switch to game view settings. I notice that it does place some weird angled cave walls at the edges of the doodad, but other than that I see nothing. What is the dome supposed to do?

Thanks again.

Tyman2007

Ya Rly >.
Reaction score
The dome is much like the demon storm doodad. It's used for cinematic purposes only to where the cameras will actually point a bit at the sky.

As for adding in more tiles to your tileset, I suggest using newgen provided you don't have any hashtables in your map. Newgen has a feature for adding in tiles up to a total of 18 tiles, which is pretty useful for RPG makers.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.