Sci/Tech The lasers fuelling hopes of unlimited, clean nuclear energy

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
A milestone has been reached in the 60-year struggle to harness the nuclear reactions that power the Sun in an experiment that could lead to a way of producing an unlimited source of clean and sustainable energy in the form of nuclear fusion.

Scientists in California said on Wednesday night that they have for the first time managed to release more energy from their nuclear fusion experiment than they put into it, which marks a critical threshold in eventually achieving the goal of a self-sustaining nuclear-fusion reaction.

Nuclear fusion uses a fuel source derived from water and produces none of the more dangerous and long-lasting isotopes, such as enriched uranium and plutonium, that result from conventional nuclear power plants, which rely on the fission or splitting of atoms rather than their fusion.

Researchers involved in the Nuclear Ignition Facility (NIF) at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory said that they have used 192 laser beams to compress a tiny fuel pellet less than half the diameter of a human hair in such a way that it triggered the net release of energy by nuclear fusion.

Last edited:

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Too bad oil companies hates it.. I guess we'll never hear about it again.

Actually, I think this is a little too big for the oil companies to squash. It is also super early in this. The oil companies have plenty of time to try whatever they are going to try. Stay tuned...

KMilz

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Actually, I think this is a little too big for the oil companies to squash. It is also super early in this. The oil companies have plenty of time to try whatever they are going to try. Stay tuned...

Yup, the clever ones are moving away from oil and going for water. Won't be long 'til that's a super-valuable commodity.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.