The Robo Warz Thread

Cal1991

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

This thread is were I will post screen shots and updates for my map, Robo Warz, and the thread for you to leave comments/questions.

Brief summary of the game:

Robo Warz is a game in the Footman Wars genre, but it differs from your typical Footman Wars because it is complex rather than simple, and a lot of work was put into making it balanced. Has plenty of custom models to give it that roboticty-futuristic feel. :)

Download Link:

http://epicwar.com/maps/download/10472/Robo Warz 1.58.w3x

Q and A:

Q: Should I try Robo Warz even if I don't like most Footman wars?
A: Yes. Many people who don't like any other footman wars maps have liked Robo Warz.

Q: What sets Robo Warz apart from other Footman Wars?
A: There are too many differences to list, so I'll just re-state that it's more complex and balanced, has anti-backstabbing features, leaver compensation features, computer AI, lots of custom robot models and more.

Q: What is this "complex-ness" you are talking about?
A: Instead of just buying one hero at the start of the game, there are 5 tech levels and a set of heroes for each tech level. As the game progresses new more powerful heroes become available and old ones become, in effect, obsolete. The heroes have varying attack and armor types so that they counter each other and are MUCH cheaper than in other footman wars.
However, buying a lot of heroes is not a good idea because all your heroes will level up slower. It's usually best to get 1 hero every other tech level until the final tier, and get as many heroes as you like from the final tier.
There are more upgrades, items and buildings than in most other footman wars maps. You can also purchase new abilities for your heroes at the Skill Developmental shops.
I could talk forever about the complexities and subtleties of the game but I don't want to bore you. ;)

Q: Is Robo Warz hard to learn?
A: No. It can seem a little confusing your first game, but by your second or third game you will have the hang of it and will only need to perfect your skills.

Screenshots:

http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/RoboScrnshot1.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/RoboScrnshot3.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/RoboScrnshot9.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/Map.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/RoboScrnshot2.JPG

Evan1993

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I've played this a bunch and its really fun. Its too bad people dont host it more.

Oninuva

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Looks sweet. Will test later.

If you need any help just ask.

I can help anywhere from website to hosting to triggering to terraining to objects :) just ask!

Cal1991

Reaction score
Looks sweet. Will test later.

If you need any help just ask.

I can help anywhere from website to hosting to triggering to terraining to objects :) just ask!

Thanks for the offer(s)!

Right now the only thing I need help with is getting some forums set up, if you can help with that I would appreciate it. :shades:

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
I've seen a few of your robots on other maps (there's a Starcraft Wraith, for instance, and a mech from ThySpektre's MechWars map). Where did you get the models from?

Cal1991

Reaction score
I've seen a few of your robots on other maps (there's a Starcraft Wraith, for instance, and a mech from ThySpektre's MechWars map). Where did you get the models from?

The site:
http://www.wc3sear.ch/

I just searched for things like "robot" and "mech" until I had all the models I needed, then I optimizd em all.... I'm afraid I didn't give credit by name to the authors of the models becuase there were too many of them, but I did put a generic thank-you in the credits.

R@d14nc3

Reaction score
>with all the model files you disappointed me with the robos

At least he is trying to get pretty good.

I would advise you to add more weapons upgrades, spells that do nuclear damage (chaos damage)

You can come up with something better.

Have hope and love.

~R@d

Cal1991

Reaction score
Just updated link to latest version.

For changelog look here:

http://com4.runboard.com/brobowarzforums.f4.t7

-bump- with all the model files you disappointed me with the robos
I don't quite understand what you mean. You mean I downloaded tons of models and they all suck? or I downloaded tons of models and I still had to use a lot of non-robotic looking models?

Whatever the case, I tried to find the best balance possible between good models and keeping the map file size as small as possible.

The models may not seem that great, or the map size may seem to big, but you need to keep in mind more and better models=larger map size.

And if the map size gets to large, people wont wait to DL.

If you mean that I could have chosen better models to import, please link me to better models :)

At least he is trying to get pretty good.

I would advise you to add more weapons upgrades, spells that do nuclear damage (chaos damage)

You can come up with something better.

Have hope and love.

~R@d

Thanks for the comment/encouragement :D

Cal1991

Reaction score
Bump, updated map link.

I've been having server splits pretty often with this map lately... anyone else been having them more than usual or know what the problem might be?

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
From the screenshot the map looks way smaller than it should be, and the terrain isn't very creative. I do like however the amount of abilities you give people. They look creative (haven't tested map) which I like. Stupid footies just has like shockwave and banish ooOoOoOo lol. I'ma go host this now.

Cal1991

Reaction score
From the screenshot the map looks way smaller than it should be, and the terrain isn't very creative.
The map is actually big enough in game, even if it might look small in screenshot:
http://www.geocities.com/cal_mapedit/Robomap.JPG

Terrain might not seem too creative, but I did the best I could without making it confusing, and at least I made it textured.
I do like however the amount of abilities you give people. They look creative (haven't tested map) which I like. Stupid footies just has like shockwave and banish ooOoOoOo lol. I'ma go host this now.

Eh, hardly any scripted abilitys and many are practically clones to the blizzard orginals. I did try to make sure all the abilitys fit their heros and be balanced though.

By the way, thanks for giving the map a try, and if you have any more comments/questions, post em here.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Yeah, from the game they weren't too horribly creative. Still was fun, the biggest problem though is if you want to replace an ability you bought you can't. Cuz you might get wrong ability or something, you should make it so when you buy the ability it adds it to the possible ones you can get when you level. And, for some reason, my heroes just stop leveling at a certain point (and the xp bar is half filled) Otherwise the map is pretty fun xD

PS I normally don't like footies but this was a good map, gj at improving footmen!!! :D

Evan1993

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You needed to get Tech Transformation, it lets you get to level 20 and gives you two more Inventory slots. :)

Cal1991

Reaction score
Yeah, from the game they weren't too horribly creative.
If you think of any abilities specifically that could be improved/replaced with more interesting abilities that still fit the heroes purpose in the counter system I would be glad to hear them.

I'm planning on spicing up some of the more boring heroes next version.
Still was fun, the biggest problem though is if you want to replace an ability you bought you can't. Cuz you might get wrong ability or something, you should make it so when you buy the ability it adds it to the possible ones you can get when you level.
Yes, but then it would only cost 50 gold (the cost of a skill point) to level the ability up.

I kind of wanted for each level of the ability to cost the same amount as it did to buy it.
And, for some reason, my heroes just stop leveling at a certain point (and the xp bar is half filled) Otherwise the map is pretty fun xD
Like Evan1993 mentioned, heroes stop gaining EXP when they get to level 10, until you buy a certain power up. You buy it in the same place as skill points.
PS I normally don't like footies but this was a good map, gj at improving footmen!!! :D

Thanks. :)

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Maybe you can buy abilities for a lot cheaper, but as I said you require leveling to get them. And which power-up is the one that allows you to level faster?

And for the terrain, could you make custom terrain that's... Metal like? I could do it for you I suppose (wouldn't be that good, I suggest getting it from your wc3search website xD) Don't forget to make the cliffs look nice too!

PS I found something cheap, I use the hero that you can make become stationary, then give him blink level 3 and just blink everywhere but he will be stronger because he's in building form xD

Cal1991

Reaction score
Maybe you can buy abilities for a lot cheaper, but as I said you require leveling to get them. And which power-up is the one that allows you to level faster?

Items related to leveling:
Empowerment: Increases the level of your hero by one.
Tome of Experience: Gives your hero 200 exp.
Tech Transformation: lets your hero get to a maximum level of 20 instead of 10.

All of the above are found in the Skill developmental shop.
And for the terrain, could you make custom terrain that's... Metal like? I could do it for you I suppose (wouldn't be that good, I suggest getting it from your wc3search website xD) Don't forget to make the cliffs look nice too!
I suppose I could, yes...
I am happy with how the terrain is now, and I am hesitant to do anything that would increase the map size much, but I could try it out.

PS I found something cheap, I use the hero that you can make become stationary, then give him blink level 3 and just blink everywhere but he will be stronger because he's in building form xD

That is intentional actually; the tower form isn't really that much stronger, the main difference is the armor/attack type.
You can't use blink while you have Firm Foundations on your hero, which is also intentional.

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Yeah, you can. I had him in firm foundations and was blinking everywhere xD

It's probaly because he still has a move speed (it's just like 1 or 0 but he still has movement) so maybe make it the ability that trees have? Or make him transform into a building - not a unit with no movement speed. Or a unit with movement type: none

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.