TIHM Public Alpha 2!

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
TIHD Public Alpha 3!

Hi all,

I decided to put my map here so you could all help testing it. It is protected (sorry, but I do not want it to be stolen in this phase, will make it open-source someday) and WEU so don't be surprised if you can't open it with the world editor. Now that this is finished, I should have time to get my site back up, and fill it with tutorials on how I did things in this map. For now, you can just test and wait =). Some info about the map:

Full Name: The_Idea's Hero Defense Public Alpha 3
Description: In this map creeps run like in td, but instead of towers you have a hero. You have got to slay the creeps before they reach the middle, otherwise you will lose lives. The map has a lot of custom heroes with triggered spells, it features shops, and special events (minigames).
Genre: Hero Defense
Suggested Players: 1-8
Tileset: Sunken Ruins
Screenshot: See my avatar :)
Suggested way of Playing: If you can, play this map online, this makes it a lot more fun, especially in the special events. Better choose easy as difficulty if you're playing this map for the first time, because medium is quite a lot harder than easy.
Download: Here

Please test the map and give any feedback you have on it. Even suggest a name change or whatever. I will consider it all. Seeing that this is a support forum, you can also ask me how I did certain things.

Changelog:

Public Alpha 3:
-Rebalanced the whole map so the spells are more useful near the end of the game
-Temporarely removed the Slaughter event, it caused items to disappear without reasing, this is being fixed
-Fixed the Jump Strike hotkey
-Redid the Bloodrage ability
-Shortened the wait on the Meditate ability
-Made Fall Back cost no mana
-Increase damage on the Dimension Walk ability
-Fixed the mana potions
-Changed the name from Hero Maul to Hero Defense, certain people seem to hate maps with maul in the name

Kenak

Reaction score
So this is another ripoff of Wintermaul, but instead of completely ripping off the origional and just changing the name, towers, and model of creeps (as well as unbalancing the hell out of it)...you made it use heroes instead of having towers? Awesome, the rip-offs of Wintermaul TD have evolved from just plain rip-offs, to a tower war, and now a hero defense! I cannot wait for Ripoffmaul RPG! Another thing: Generally the Alpha stage is just closed testing with the makers of the game and a few select to help develop gameplay more. Usually it's in the beta phase when a game is actually released to the public to be tested (helps for testing new content, and having mass amounts of people help find those small bugs). Meh-

(After reading that, it's hard to see my point. The point is that I suggest removing the word Maul from the name and changing it to a Beta...but the beta part is more nitpicky as opposed to the Maul part, which just lables it as rip-off to many people, even when it's not.)

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Kenak... WinterMual (OMG WINTERMAUL THE ALMIGHTLY GOD) is a rip off of the first turrent defense back in Starcraft days... its not even a rip off its a type of game... if you want to rant about your deep feelings for wintermaul then go find one of those games where the terrian is the same and they took out ALL checkpoints besides the end.

Done with that... proceding to ignore Kenak

First off i just finshed the map of easy with the Turtle

Bugs/Balence Issues
-The Big Mana Potion is supposed to heal 1500 mana it heals 500
-The bosses were uber easy including the last one, i killed them before they reached the halfway mark (it was easy mode so mabey.. but no one on b-net plays hard or even normal so it doesnt matter much)

Ideas/Comments
-Destroy is a wonderfull bit of work, no lag, and it looks a ton like lighting, and not TOO unbalenced towards the end where it didnt do very much (like all spells besides Jump Stomp and WAr Stomp)
-Destroy is madd uber in Slughter lvls untill the enemy gets to you in your unitturabtable channel and kills you
-In slughter lvls i had to set down 2 of my greater lich ammys for potion room and couldnt get them till so late in game they were crap
-GOLD RUSH = COOL
-Clear all items after ALL bonus lvls to prevent what happened with my two ammys sitting untill end of Gold Rush
-In quests it says something about "You could have 2 Super items" i had six be end and was wondering what to do with the other 6k...
-Over all it owns! Though i found some lvls very easy and about 1 armor lvl deep into the game nearly leaked for me and at the start the first speed took 10 lives. Aging make bosses more uber with weaken the final boss was a joke. (Once aging on easy but b-neters in genral dont play hard or normal mode)
-GOOD JOB

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
Grurf said:
Hi all,

Blah blah blah

Please test the map and give any feedback you have on it. Even suggest a name change or whatever. I will consider it all. Seeing that this is a support forum, you can also ask me how I did certain things.

So it is a Hero Survival. A maul is NOT a category. Wintermaul TD is a Tower Defence. I will consider it to be a maul when all it involves is 12 Mountain Kings beating up a Peasant.

Rad

Reaction score
900th post!!

Maul is to a catagory, you would know if you ever played it. A maul is where everyone tries to stop creeps together, and they spawn at top 3 locations and run down. They turn in the center and near the end and if they get to the end it says something like 'A unit has entered the boat!' or some long spamming messege. A tower defence can be anything from tower line wars to green td, bayus (or whatever) etc...

Duwenbasden

Ver 6 CREATE energy AS SELECT * FROM u.energy
Reaction score
Then how do you explain Wintermaul TD. and yes, I've played WMTD with the duke himself.

Rad

Reaction score
Wintermaul - Two teams compete defending with towers against waves of creeps

Its a mix of TD and Maul, hence the name WinterMAUL TD

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
OK OK - if you guys still need to argue terms please start a new thread. This thread is for TIHM - thank you.

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Well, the argueing has made something clear: you guys don't like it when I put maul in the title =). Could you please suggest an other title then? Feel free to argue about it :).

Thank you UnknowVector for seriously reviewing my map, will have a look at all your points.

Anybody else going to review it? Would like to know what you guys think about it.

Edit:

Comments on UnknowVector's review:

UnknowVector said:
Bugs/Balence Issues
-The Big Mana Potion is supposed to heal 1500 mana it heals 500
-The bosses were uber easy including the last one, i killed them before they reached the halfway mark (it was easy mode so mabey.. but no one on b-net plays hard or even normal so it doesnt matter much)

Ideas/Comments
-Destroy is a wonderfull bit of work, no lag, and it looks a ton like lighting, and not TOO unbalenced towards the end where it didnt do very much (like all spells besides Jump Stomp and WAr Stomp)
-Destroy is madd uber in Slughter lvls untill the enemy gets to you in your unitturabtable channel and kills you
-In slughter lvls i had to set down 2 of my greater lich ammys for potion room and couldnt get them till so late in game they were crap
-GOLD RUSH = COOL
-Clear all items after ALL bonus lvls to prevent what happened with my two ammys sitting untill end of Gold Rush
-In quests it says something about "You could have 2 Super items" i had six be end and was wondering what to do with the other 6k...
-Over all it owns! Though i found some lvls very easy and about 1 armor lvl deep into the game nearly leaked for me and at the start the first speed took 10 lives. Aging make bosses more uber with weaken the final boss was a joke. (Once aging on easy but b-neters in genral dont play hard or normal mode)
-GOOD JOB

-Seems like I was too sleepy when I made that one, *fix*.
-You played the speedy turtle, right? He's the ultimate dude at slaying a single unit, and thefore has an easy time slaying bosses. However, I agree that he's still a little overpowered, maybe I should bring his max attack speed down.
-Destroy is kind of my masterpiece. I have made a tutorial on how I did it, will post it on my site when it's back up. But you're right, monster hp is so big in the end that even ultimates seem to do nothing. Maybe I should bring that down and increase armor more.
-I have already posted a thread on it, but I didn't get a suitable answer: How to adapt the options of the Channel spell in such a way that the icon is green during the whole casting time and goes back to normal when you move, die or the spell is finished?
-You could also sell them to that shop =) but ok maybe I should put item removal in event shutdown triggers.
-Thank you!
-Yeah see the point before the last one
-Tome! =) Maybe I should look about that 2, that was meant to be two different types.
-Armor round get quite hard indeed, especially for the speedy turtle, because if you attack much but with low damage then like all of your damage gets reduced. Bosses can be better indeed, although when playing on bnet there is a lot of leaking in those rounds, maybe the people there are just... nooby :).
-Thanks!

R

Ruination

OKay I was the Ice Troll Bladefighter. I also played easy but I lost on like the 15th round.

-Bloodlust ability didn't autocast on myself when I had autocast on.

-Dimensional walk's backstab only added 5 bonus damage, and the next level only added 10 bonus damage. I stopped getting it after that :p However, it was very useful for getting back in front of the creeps since I could pass through them.

-During the first minigame, my healing lights disseappeared from my inventory. I bought three stacks of them and when I went to use one, they were all gone.

-The fallback tome is a good idea, but when I went to use it, I didn't have 100 mana. Maybe this shouldn't require mana, or just less?

-I found myself getting stuck a lot on the creeps. I couldn't pass them, and sometimes I was actually quite stuck between them. Decrease their collission size, or decrease the hero's collission size. Or maybe just more room to meneuver would be enough. I would reccomend making the pathway longer because if I got stuck for just a few seconds, that was enough to allow many creeps to get by.

-I cast the bladestorm ability with high hopes it would save me, but my hero paused for a good two seconds before it initiated, and I lost )= Hehe.

Good job on this!

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ruination said:
OKay I was the Ice Troll Bladefighter. I also played easy but I lost on like the 15th round.

-Bloodlust ability didn't autocast on myself when I had autocast on.

-Dimensional walk's backstab only added 5 bonus damage, and the next level only added 10 bonus damage. I stopped getting it after that :p However, it was very useful for getting back in front of the creeps since I could pass through them.

-During the first minigame, my healing lights disseappeared from my inventory. I bought three stacks of them and when I went to use one, they were all gone.

-The fallback tome is a good idea, but when I went to use it, I didn't have 100 mana. Maybe this shouldn't require mana, or just less?

-I found myself getting stuck a lot on the creeps. I couldn't pass them, and sometimes I was actually quite stuck between them. Decrease their collission size, or decrease the hero's collission size. Or maybe just more room to meneuver would be enough. I would reccomend making the pathway longer because if I got stuck for just a few seconds, that was enough to allow many creeps to get by.

-I cast the bladestorm ability with high hopes it would save me, but my hero paused for a good two seconds before it initiated, and I lost )= Hehe.

Good job on this!

Ok, comments on it:

-Will remake it without autocasting at all.
-Do you know something else to increase with levels then?
-Ya that bug is really weird, I keep hearing people saying that the potions dissappeared, that they suddenly died etc. Maybe I should recreate the whole slaughter event.
-Ok, I will make it cost no mana at all.
-Well, that is actually the thing you've got fall back for (besides speed rounds).
-He indeed pauses for 2 seconds, but the ability isn't that strong anyway. I think I will remove the delay.
-Thanks!

More reviews please! I think I will make one more public alpha, and then I'll create the beta.

R

Ruination

-Do you know something else to increase with levels then?

No that is what backstab should do but the damage bonus shouldn't be so low. The damage was so low that is was significantly less than my normal attack damage. It would probably be easier to just make it a damage multiplier of 2 instead of bonus damage. As level increases, make it multiplier of 3, 4, etc.

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have started thinking about a new name, what about these ones?

-(The_Idea's) (Team) Hero Defense
-None shall pass! (and start the map with the sound of the tauren chieftain saying none shall pass =)
-(The_Idea's) Fountain Defense
-(The_Idea's) Hero Survival (put a building in the middle that the creeps will attack when they reach it, if the building dies, you lose)

If you don't like any of them, post a one yourself!

Kenak

Reaction score
I am sorry Rad but you need to get your facts straight. MAUL IS NOT A CATAGORY. It started off as a new TD: Wintermaul TD (you build towers with a team to stop the creeps from getting to the end). Then somebody made a Summermaul TD because A) Parody or B) They just ripped it off and changed the tileset. Next came Ocean Maul, and then it spawned into one hell of a sh!t fest after that. You were obviously NOT around when Wintermaul was released. And so you know, it's called WINTERMAUL because a Death Knight in ladder games is named Duke Wintermaul, so a guy made a name on warcraft called "Duke-Wintermaul", well...guess what? He named his TD after himself! Wintermaul TD. The only thing besides a TD that he created was a wave of rip offs made by MANY newb map makers just wanting to make a map. I'm not saying all people who make a rip-off of Wintermaul are newbs, but when I see a TD with the word "Maul" in it, it's what I instantly think. So I was suggesting not to use the word "Maul", as it could give the wrong idea. Nice try.

And Wintermaul TD was not ripped off from the Turret Defense, it's a Tower Defense, it maybe uses the same prinicipals, but it's not a rip off of that (hell, if it's a rip-off of the turret defense, then DotA is a rip off of the first Aeon of Strife).

The game sounds pretty fun, I'll download it later and then host it. I'll tell ya what I think of it when I complete a full game (with full house).

Grurf

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Still waiting...

Planning to release public alpha 3 soon with all fixes of the reviews!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.