Could we condemn criminals to suffer for hundreds of years?
Biotechnology could let us extend convicts' lives 'indefinitely'
- This is the scenario being explored by researchers at Oxford University
- They claim life extension tech could mean prisoners serve longer sentences
- Philosopher Dr Rebecca Roache also writes in her blog that a time distortion pill could make people feel like they were in prison longer
- Another scenario the group looked at was uploading mind to a digital realm
- Running it a million times faster than normal would enable the uploaded criminal to serve a 1,000 year sentence in eight-and-a-half hours
Read the whole article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...als-lives-makes-suffering-HUNDREDS-years.htmlAs well as extending life, Dr Roache noted that there are a number of psychoactive drugs that distort people’s sense of time. She said that society might not be far off developing a pill that could make someone feel like they were serving a 1,000-year sentence.