Report To Keep the Faith, Don't Get Analytical.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Many people with religious convictions feel that their faith is rock solid. But a new study finds that prompting people to engage in analytical thinking can cause their religious beliefs to waver, if only a little. Researchers say the findings have potentially significant implications for understanding the cognitive underpinnings of religion.

Psychologists often carve thinking into two broad categories: intuitive thinking, which is fast and effortless (instantly knowing whether someone is angry or sad from the look on her face, for example); and analytic thinking, which is slower and more deliberate (and used for solving math problems and other tricky tasks). Both kinds of thinking have their strengths and weaknesses, and they often seem to interfere with one another. "Recently there's been an emerging consensus among [researchers] … that a lot of religious beliefs are grounded in intuitive processes," says Will Gervais, a graduate student at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, in Canada and a co-author of the new study, published today in Science.

One example comes from a study by neuroscientist and philosopher Joshua Greene and colleagues at Harvard University, published last September in the Journal of Experimental Psychology. They asked hundreds of volunteers recruited online to answer three questions with appealingly intuitive answers that turn out to be wrong. For example, "A bat and ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?" Although $0.10 comes easily to mind (it's the intuitive answer), it takes some analytical thought to come up with the correct answer of $0.05. People who chose more intuitive answers on these questions were more likely to report stronger religious beliefs, even when the researchers controlled for IQ, education, political leanings, and other factors.

Read more here.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
Because there is a lot of math and puzzle solving involved in one's personal beliefs...

I think the whole point of religion is intuitive. If morals worked analytically, you would help a thief rob someone and split the profits instead of defending the guy getting robbed at risk of injury. I think it's a pretty intuitive function to want to help, to love, or to dream about the universe.

On the other hand, analytic thinking deals with what one has already in front of them to solve a problem. It would make sense that people who think in this way don't open their minds to the possibility of an answer that they cannot solve themselves.

It is clear that there are a lot of studies trying to undermine the idea of religion because of someone's intelligence or way of thinking. It's counter intuitive that the right answer be one that the simple minded can understand and believe in so easily. That doesn't; however, make it necessarily the wrong answer, but does make it less appealing to people who would like to be considered "intelligent." Also, it must be stated, that intelligence isn't measured as simply analytic thought. Someone who is intuitive can also be much more intelligent than one who is analytic.

;)

phyrex1an

Staff Member and irregular helper
Reaction score
If morals worked analytically, you would help a thief rob someone and split the profits instead of defending the guy getting robbed at risk of injury. I think it's a pretty intuitive function to want to help, to love, or to dream about the universe.
I think you misunderstood what analytic means in this context. It doesn't mean "maximize monetary gain", it means "deliberate thought".

If you, when faced between choosing to defend the victim or help the robber, immediately ran to the victims defense (or, if you are an evil bastard, ran to help the robber) then that was an intuitive decision.

If you instead took the time thinking about the consequences of your actions, revealing that robbing the victim would hurt him both financially and emotionally, put you at risk for a prison term for potentially very little money and also hurt yourself emotionally, thus defending the victim then that action would have been analytical.

Analytical vs intuitive thinking is not about coming to different answers (though, as in the case with the 0.05$ baseball, it can be different answers) but about coming to an answer using a different process.

If you didn't misunderstand then I think it's sad that you would rob someone if you only took the time to think about it beforehand... but I guess it's slightly better than robbing on a whim.

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
How would "Analytical thought" affect their belief? And do "Analytical thought" have anything to do with religion really?

camelCase

The Case of the Mysterious Camel.
Reaction score
FC posting about analytical thought.
The irony in this thread is too damn high!

One comment over there was nice.
It went something like everyone agreeing that Zeus is a myth and Unicorns, fairies and Santa Claus don't exist but so many say God must exist.

Darkrider

Reaction score
In all seriousness... I still can't get why $0,05. Perhaps a reading comprehension problem?

EDIT: Nvm, got it. Didn't read the "more" in "1 dollar more"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.