Tutorial Traps/natural effects

Did you find my tut usefull?

• Total voters
R

Ricky

:D Hi~Ricky:) Favorite traps: Avalanche traps (very cool)

Hi to all reading this. Some people want to make maps that have really good realism or have traps and suchlike. But unfortunately some don't know how to do so. So I'm writing this tut to tell them how to make traps and effects for natural or maybe even unnatural causes. But before i begin i have got to say i do not have the editor up in front of me so just bare with me please folks.Thanks:)

So first we open up the editor and either make a new map or load an already made one you want to add effects or traps to. I will start with the traps:

Elevator Traps

Righty ho elevators. For an elevator trap we need 3 things : an open space, a hole the exact size of an elevator (i would put it as 2 down otherwise my trigger examples wont work)Note: place use the p key to see if it is in the right place. Now for people who already know how to use elevators i shall just say you that you need a trigger to make the elevator get into position, a trigger to make people fall into the trap and either a release mechanism or a way to kill those stuck down their.

But for you who do not know i shall explain in full detail. once we have the hole and the elevator we need elevator walls, if i can remember correctly they are in the place were you find elevators. you will need one on two opposite sides i shall explain now why not all four sides:unrealistically the elevator walls are longer than the elevators and the elevators walls cant overlap and i have stupidly forgotten how to get around this so i cover up the 2 sides without an elevator wall with props,trees, landscape and suchlike. Now we need the triggers.

First we need to get the elevator in position:

Code:
Elevator set
    Events
        Map initialization
    Conditions
    Actions
        Destructible - Close East wall of Elevator (1) 0000 <gen>
        Destructible - Open West wall of Elevator (1) 0000 <gen>
        Destructible - Set height of Elevator (1) 0000 <gen> to 3

now this will set the elevator in its position next we need is the trigger to trap a unit. First put a region over the area the elevator is in then do this trigger.

Code:
Your Caught
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Your Caught <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Destructible - Set height of Elevator (1) 0000 <gen> to 1
        Destructible - Close West wall of Elevator (1) 0000 <gen>

this will catch a unit but it wont be reusable and the unit is now stuck forever but what you could do is this as the trigger to add a bit more spice:

Code:
Your Caught
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Your Caught <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Destructible - Set height of Elevator (1) 0000 <gen> to 1
        Destructible - Close West wall of Elevator (1) 0000 <gen>
        Wait 10.00 seconds
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of Your Caught <gen>) using Abilities\Spells\Human\FlameStrike\FlameStrike1.mdl
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in Your Caught <gen>) and do (Unit - Set life of (Picked unit) to 0.00)
        Trigger - Run Elevator set <gen> (checking conditions)

this will kill the unit and reset the elevator for its next victims. If you want a release mechanism you would not use the trigger above but the trigger above that and then make this trigger:

Code:
Release elevator trap
    Events
        Unit - Sorceress 0000 <gen> Dies
    Conditions
    Actions
        Trigger - Turn on Elevator set <gen>
        Trigger - Turn off Your Caught <gen>

This will let players now run over the trap without being trapped when the boss dies but if you want it so the trap is reusable and the players cant run over it take off turn off trigger catch unit and open east elevator wall. You can also change the events so you stand on a button to release or something.:D

You might want to fiddle and experiment with this you could try making the elevator go up instead of down.Or maybe when your down you can activate something so you have to go down to finish the game.

Thats about it for now on elevator traps on to:

Fire traps

Now we all like fire traps:) They are fun to play with and we can do a lot of different things with them like.....making traps:) For now I'm going to tell you how to make a trap appear randomly in an area. Lets say it is the scorching plains (or something dramatic) and that fires is constantly starting and going all over the place now we need to make this happen.

First we need the plains make an area of land or scorched i recommend using outlands tileset or something make the place look all fiery and abandoned with scorched trees and burnt down buildings with very little vegetation and wildlife. Then cover the great plains with....a region.

Now there are 2 ways to do this: you can use only triggers for the whole thing or you can do what I'm going to tell you using dummy units.

I'm using dummy units: 1. i don't know how to randomly create fire traps on the plains then damage the people at that point i only know how to do this at a fixed point. 2. I always use dummy units for these things so i understand these better.

So lets get started first we need to make the ability a custom flame strike. Base it off as a flame strike and make its casting range the max it can go. Then set its damage to the amount you want for when someone gets hit by the fires of your plain. now we set the cooldown to 0.01. Next we make the dummy unit and give it the custom spell. now place one in a safe place.

Now we need the triggers:

Code:
The fires of The great Plains
    Events
        Time - Every 5.00 seconds of game time
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit - Order Dummy unit 0001 <gen> to Human Blood Mage - Flame Strike (Random point in The Great Plains <gen>)

This would be a way to cast fire traps at a random place. But now we shall make it at a fixed place which can be made into a maze.

I shall tell you how to make one trap then you could make it into a maze maybe or just make a lot of them. But first we need a small region were it will be.

Code:
single fire trap
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of single fire trap <gen>) using Doodads\Cinematic\FireTrapUp\FireTrapUp.mdl
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in single fire trap <gen>) and do (Unit - Set life of (Picked unit) to ((Life of (Picked unit)) - 100.00))

That would be a basic fire trap trigger that only hits a single place at a repetitive rate you could use triggers to stop fire traps and make mazes out of them. Play around I'm sure you will find something to your liking.

Now for my very favorite:

oooo I'm soo excited:D :D :D

The Avalanche Traps

Right i love these i do there are just so many cool things you can do with them. We shall start with the crumbling mountain mwahahahahahahahaha!

First we need the crumbling mountain. To make this make a path really high up and really rocky make it look treacherous and realistic. The make a higher part of it behind the path were you cant get to thats a higher part of the mountain that you cant get to. Like this

########### #=mountain
--------------- -=mountain path

there is no gap between the mountain and path.

next we make a region one in the center of the path one a small distance to the right and to the left.

Now we need the triggers: The thing with this first crumbling mountain version is that you then cant use the path.:( But it does give a really cool effect To make it so that they cannot get past the rocks when they are there you should change the rocks chunk destructible so it has godlike regeneration or unlimited health or just make it invulnerable so they cant destroy it and carry on!

Code:
Avalanche
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters avalanche start <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Trigger - Turn off (This trigger)
        Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode On for (All players)
        Camera - Shake the camera for Player 1 (Red) with magnitude 50.00
        Game - Display to (All players) the text: Our presence has b...
        Cinematic - Fade out over 2.00 seconds using texture Black Mask and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency
        Destructible - Create a Rock Chunks at (Center of left avalanche <gen>) facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation 0
        Destructible - Create a Rock Chunks at (Center of left avalanche <gen>) facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation 0
        Destructible - Create a Rock Chunks at (Center of right avalanche <gen>) facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation 0
        Destructible - Create a Rock Chunks at (Center of right avalanche <gen>) facing (Random angle) with scale 1.00 and variation 0
        Cinematic - Fade in over 2.00 seconds using texture Black Mask and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency

this should do the following: when someone enters the middle region the camera starts shaking a message comes up the screen fades out with a black screen. Rocks appear on the two sides of the middle region trapping all in the center. The camera stops shaking, The camera fades back in.

When it comes back in the players will see their units trapped between unmovable rocks.

Now this will trap the units forever unless you make a release mechanism or a way to kill them. I shall start with A release mechanism (keeping in mind there are a lot of ways to do it) we shall use a bridge to get them out.

First you have to make a bridge from the center of the place they are stuck with to a piece of land that lets them get away.

Then in the map initialization trigger you put close bridge 001 (the bridge that you just placed) then you make the release mechanism

Code:
release of the mountain
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Release mechanism <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Destructible - Open Long Natural Bridge (Diagonal 1) 0001 <gen>

another thing you could do is a cool death for the trapped units.
First you make a new ability. Base it off as stampede then change the projectile type to some kind of rock (i know it is passable i have done it in another map) then change the width to match the distance to the right blockade of rocks and the left blockade of rocks. The make the length to the distance of were the dummy unit is going to be and the units at the bottom that are going to be killed. Then make sure that it is a unit ability.

Then make the dummy unit and give it the ability and place the dummy unit at the top of the mountain.

Then you would change the avalanche trigger to the following

Code:
Avalanche
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters avalanche start <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Cinematic - Turn cinematic mode On for (All players)
        Camera - Shake the camera for Player 1 (Red) with magnitude 50.00
        Game - Display to (All players) the text: Our presence has b...
        Cinematic - Fade out over 2.00 seconds using texture Black Mask and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency
        Cinematic - Fade in over 2.00 seconds using texture Black Mask and color (0.00%, 0.00%, 0.00%) with 0.00% transparency
        Wait 5.00 seconds
        Unit - Order Dummy unit 0001 <gen> to Neutral Beastmaster - Stampede (Center of the direction of the path <gen>)

This will trap then free or kill units that get caught by the crumbling mountain mwahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa!:D

The other thing you can do is using the avalanche ability you can make falling rocks that you have to doge. Or make a shockwave ability that is slower and the projectile looks like a rock. There are just so many things you can do with it.

Now that my favorite part is over we will go on to the bridge trap:

The bridge trap

Bridge traps....hmmm wonder what he means? How can you make a trap with a bridge? hmmmmmmmmm. Is that what your thinking? Well even if your not heres how:

First we make a river at the place of the bridge make shallow water then make a bridge across the river above the shallow water. Then make 2 regions one a bit higher up the river and one a bit lower down the river. and then make a region in the area of the center of the bridge.

Now we have to make an ability. Base it off as permanent immoliation then change its damage to the max. make it invisible. and make its range quite small so it kills all who come very close to it.
Then make a new unit base it off as a sheep(waterborne) change its model file to a waterfall. Then give it the ability your custom immoliation. Then give it the ability locust (not swarm locust) This makes it invulnerable and unelectable.

Now we make the triggers:

Code:
Bridge trap
    Events
        Unit - A unit enters Bridge trap <gen>
    Conditions
    Actions
        Destructible - Close Long Natural Bridge (Horizontal) 0002 <gen>
        Wait 0.50 seconds
        Destructible - Remove Long Natural Bridge (Horizontal) 0002 <gen>
        Unit - Create 1 Waterfall unit for Player 12 (Brown) at (Center of Up river <gen>) facing Default building facing degrees
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Move To (Center of Down river <gen>)
        Wait 5.00 seconds
        Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game

Usually when a bridge is closed you still cant go were it used to be...but removing it completely removes it from the game so there is nothing for others to collide into!

With this done what will happen is: When a unit enters the center of the bridge the bridge will collapse and a unit that looks like a waterfall and cant be killed or selected will appear run past the units in the shallow water its immoliation will kill the units it shall run down the river and then disappear.

For now that all on the Traps but i will add more as they come to me.
Now finally we are on to:

Effects

This section is rather small as most of the effects that I'm going to tell you are pretty much the same with a difference that changes its effects the first being the top of a volcano. For this make the following trigger:

Code:
volcano effect
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
        Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Center of top of a volcano <gen>) using Abilities\Spells\Human\FlameStrike\FlameStrike1.mdl
        Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in top of a volcano <gen>) and do (Unit - Set life of (Picked unit) to ((Life of (Picked unit)) - 100.00))

This will create flamestrike at the top of the volcano and damage all who go there.:D

For an electrical Storm use the triggers for making lightning bolts and make them come in a random place in your thunder plains like this:

Code:
thunder plains
    Events
    Conditions
    Actions
        Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source (Center of Thunder plains lightning conductor <gen>) to target (Random point in Thunder plains <gen>)
        Lightning - Create a Chain Lightning - Primary lightning effect from source (Center of Thunder plains lightning conductor <gen>) to target (Random point in Thunder plains <gen>)

The amount of them should add a lot more realism. I expect this is not what it says when you make a lightning bolt using a trigger but as i said i don't have the editor in front of me.

Thats all for now if i get more ideas i will put them up here or if anyone suggest on how to make another effect.

Well thats all on this topic from me i do hope it has been very useful and if you have liked my tutorial please post up good comments and rate my tut. If you have any questions please ask them and if you have any criticism i don't mind as long as you make it constructive. Thanks:D Keep voting folks.

R

Ricky

Thx for replies

Thx~Ricky:)

Thx for the replies guys. Im glad you like it Pixi and please tell others of this tut:D .Demi666 i dont mind its not to evryones liking, this tutorial but if you dont mind what didnt you like about it?

R

Ricky

Quick word

Hi~Ricky

Hi all i just wanted to say that you should go and see some of my other tut like "How to make a Historacal battle" or "Random ability tut they will be in here somewere but also check the members projects section for The Battle of Hastings.Thx:D

p.s. Please vote on the pole no one will judge you by what you chose and if your not a member you should sign up as you can contriabute to all sorts of things.:)

U

Ur-Quan

BEtter thing to do would be to make it like a professionall.
Improve it with REAL triggers, not pseudo code.
Improve your spelling too.
Not Avalaunch, it is Avalanche.
Stop using short words in tutorials.
Do not use tut, but tutorial.(For example)

Anyways it is tutorial with lot of potential.

R

Ricky

ok

ok~Ricky

ok. I will remember that advice for my next tutorial .

p.s. if there is a moderator reading this can u use the spell check on it as i cant get the softwere to do thanks:D

U

Ur-Quan

One more advice:
Improve tutorials, do not just make new ones,

R

Ricky

Hi

ok~Ricky

I do improve tutorials. Not to the extend that i could i admit but in some cases i have nothing to add when i get home i can go over it with a spell checker but before i come up with a new trap worth adding there isnt much else i can do to this tutorial

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

If anyone has a question dont hesitate to ask me!

Edit: sorry for double posting! Didnt think while i was posting:banghead:

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Hi~Ricky

If anyone has a question dont hesitate to ask me!

Edit: sorry for double posting! Didnt think while i was posting:banghead:

Nice tutorial, but I think you should get a person with an English Version of WE to post the codes because those aren't correct, unless you do have the english version but it is just freehand. ;)

I'm in the middle for this one.

Also, it is ok if you double post as long as it is after 24 hours before the last post and that you add a "BUMP" part to it because it BUMPs your thread.

Bring
Up
My
But there should be usually a logical reason or a reason self-interprated why it is a bump. :)

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
ok sorry.. i just have to flame.. this tut is like completly useless, after the first 2 sentences i couldnt read anymore.. too badly written.. all i did was scroll down to look at the codes.. which turned out to be useless too.. although i can do all this... why have a tut that doesnt even use proper codes? its not gonna help anyone, except mabye give some ideas, its completly useless mabye put [IDEA] this isnt really a tutorial -_-

sorry i just had to say.. >< i dont normally flame :eek:

PS: improve tuts before you make new ones.. and take time making them otherwise ull most probably get -rep not +rep.. im tempted

elmstfreddie

The Finglonger
Reaction score
Erm...
It was poorly written than most of your guy's replies are.

But yeah, it should use some cleaning up.
And whenever writing a tutorial, NEVER freehand code. That's a no-no.

Oh yeah, no need for a poll, we can rate it with stars.

Edit > LOL demi is so cruel.

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Ok. Thanks for replying. Sorry for freehand writing the codes!:banghead: About the english version: I am english, it is the only language i understand:p
I gonna have a massive revamp of all my Tutorials so few days from now the codes wont be freehand;)

About the poorly written complaint: I'm a bad person:D If you give me some ideas on how to sort it out a lot more then please do cause then i can sort it out when i do the revamp!

Erk! Threatend with -rep gotta go lol:D

Later that day: Right i have revamped all the codes and spelling mistakes have been sorted...phew finally! But thats all i have done, if there is anything else you want me to do just ask:)

Squll2

je'ne sais pas
Reaction score
good job remember to not freehand codes next time and clean it all up (hardly any spell mistakes) with your next tutorial and ill probably hit you up with some +rep ;)

R

Ricky

Hi

Hi~Ricky

Glad you like it more now!:) Thanks for the advice, i wont forget it! Look out for some of my other tutorials though couse soon as i have revamped thm they should be a lot better:D

Great news! Hopefully, soon i shall have Adobe photoshop cs3 or 7! So then i can make a higher standard of tutorials and increase the rating of all my current ones!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.