Trouble setting the level of an ability.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
So I've got an item based off of "Build Tiny Scout Tower," or whatever the hell it is. I set the number of levels of the ability to 3. Level 1 is normal, level 2 has one socket, and level 3 has two sockets. However, I can't figure out how to change the level of an ability for an item. Does anybody know? Please help, because if you can't do this then I'll have to redesign this system.

Cidzero

Imma firin mah lazer!!!1!1
Reaction score
Data - Levels

And Items themselves cannot have their abilities upgraded, only units.

Unit - Increase/Set Level of Ability

MurderMode

Giving new meaning to co-op... slowly
Reaction score
well I dont know what event you want to use to set the items ability... but you can increase an item's ability level through upgrades. Create a custom upgrade with the Data - Effect set to 'Ability Level Bonus' and the base and increment set to 1. Then select your item ability as the ability it affects.

Now using whatever causes the item to level as an event, make a trigger that researches that upgrade automatically for the player.

Dunno if this works with items coz I have never attempted it.... but it does give you the option to upgrade item abilities in the object editor and give it a shot... so if it does work then your system is saved otherwise... back to the drawing board for you ;P

Fatmankev

Reaction score
Well damn, that totally blows.

The idea was to make a D2 style TD where enemies drop items instead of giving u gold to build them, and then you would place the items. I want it to be random, so I would give the item a chance to be a different level when it was dropped by the creeps. According to what you say, my idea will not work at all. For shame.

MurderMode

Reaction score
you dont need to level an items ability then... I'm pretty confident you can just create all the different items you want as stand alone items, create an item-type variable array (say there are 10 items) and set each number of the array to a different item at map initialization... then make a trigger that when a creep dies it drops an item from the item-type_variable(random number between 1-10)

Fatmankev

Reaction score
you dont need to level an items ability then... I'm pretty confident you can just create all the different items you want as stand alone items, create an item-type variable array (say there are 10 items) and set each number of the array to a different item at map initialization... then make a trigger that when a creep dies it drops an item from the item-type_variable(random number between 1-10)

Yeah, but it would have been a lot less work to do it the other way. As it is, I want to have all the different types of low level weapons, including each kind of socketed weapon, set weapon, unique weapon, and several magical weapons. But I will do it as you're suggesting.

MurderMode

Reaction score
then you can do it this way instead -

Code:
event - unit dies

condition - unit type of triggering unit is equal to level 1 creep

actions - Item - Create (Random level 1 item-type) at (Position of (Triggering unit))

Then just set all your item's levels to suit. This might be easier then creating the variable

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.