[troubleshooting]mp3 Faq

R@d14nc3

Reaction score
Troubleshooting

In this section I will attempt to address some of the more common questions and problems associated with playing MP3s. Unfortunately, we are unable to answer specific emailed inquiries. Questions about particular players or software should be addressed to the maker or author of the program.

Are you sure it is loaded? Can you see the name of the song? If not, it probably isn't loaded. Your player should have a command like "play file", "open file" or something similar. If you don't see an option to load the song, right-click on the MP3 player and the pop-up list should have it. Is the MP3 loaded and still not working?

Did you click the "Play" button on your MP3 player? Check your computer's volume settings - make sure they are not on mute or turned down. Check the volume on your speakers. Check the speaker cables. Are you able to play other sounds? If yes, try to play MP3s. If you can't play other MP3s but you have sound, download another player. Try to load it again. Are you getting an error message? If so, contact the author of the software. After you have tried everything, try restarting your computer and trying again - it is possible your settings have not been updated.

If you are an Internet Explorer user with Windows Media Player installed as your default MP3 player, Media Player may attempt to play the song as it is downloading. This usually only works if you have a relatively high download speed. Users with slower download speeds should instead right-click the "Download" MP3 link and left-click "Save Target As..." in the pop-up window. Click "Save". You will have to start your MP3 player, open the MP3 file from within the player and press the play button to start listening to music.

Use your computer's "Find File" command and search *.mp3 for all directories (C: for most computers). This tells the computer too look for any MP3 file on your hard drive. Your browser typically will default save to a temporary folder like C:/temp or something similar.

This happens sometimes when there is an error during the downloading process or the MP3 file is corrupted. Try downloading the MP3 file again. If it still doesn't work, try downloading another MP3 file.

This is a problem with Netscape's default preference settings which may incorrectly try to play MP3 files using Quicktime (it does not support MP3 files).

The solution is to download an MP3 player like RealPlayer G2. Then change your preferences by opening Netscape Navigator and selecting Preferences from the Edit menu. Click on "Navigator" and then "applications". This is where you configure Navigator's helper apps. Scroll down until you see "audio/mpeg" and double click on it.

Then click the "Choose" button and locate the MP3 player you want Netscape to launch after a MP3 file is downloaded. (e.g. MacAmp). Ok out of all dialog boxes. Now each time a MP3 file is downloaded Navigator should play it using the MP3 player you selected.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ENJOY!

I hope that any of this is of any help to you.

Have a good MP3 activity.

~R@d

L

LedZepplin

I think its good. It will definately help out the less techno savvy people and probably some others who are just not sure what to do.

Lizidian

Reaction score
It's nearing 1'oclock in the morning and I'm extremely tired so I won't be able to read the whole thing, so far so good, but one thing you should explain is what an MP3 is exactly... since if people are having problems with them, it is possible they don't know what they are... (remember not everyone knows technical jargon, as simple as it may be)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.