Unsafe Emails

New User

Reaction score
I've heard from some sources that it could be unsafe to open some emails. Is this true? I mean, as long as I don't download the attachments that are attached with the email, shouldn't it be safe? Just reading could be a risk too? How does it work?

codemonkey

Code monkey not crazy, just proud.
Reaction score
I've heard from some sources that it could be unsafe to open some emails. Is this true? I mean, as long as I don't download the attachments that are attached with the email, shouldn't it be safe? Just reading could be a risk too? How does it work?

It can be unsafe by just viewing it. I recommend avast! as it prevents malware from emails in several programs including Thunderbird, Groupwise and Outlook (Express).

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
As long as everything works as it is supposed to, you are perfectly safe. But it depends on your mail client (or browser for web mail) and if it has any exploits. Old versions of Outlook Express for example are full of holes.

Sort of related: A lot of spam messages will link back to an image hosted on a server with unique URL - so just by displaying it, their server can track that you loaded it and it knows your email address is valid. Say hello to more spam. Most email clients will now make you explcitly choose to load images in messages from unknown senders.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Sort of related: A lot of spam messages will link back to an image hosted on a server with unique URL - so just by displaying it, their

yep - if you click on them, they know your e-mail is a valid one and will send a ton more to a person they know clicks on stuff

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
It can be unsafe by just viewing it. I recommend avast! as it prevents malware from emails in several programs including Thunderbird, Groupwise and Outlook (Express).
Here you are, with a Ubuntu logo recommending people they should buy software such as avast. This is just plain wrong.

I use Gmail and it is a very save web client. I never had a virus or mall ware installed just by looking at it.
There are of course people who send links which can be dangerous, such as executable files, etc. But this mostly occurs in spam, which of is 99% filtered in gmail. Infact, I've only had 1 unfiltered spam message ever in my inbox while I've been using it for over 5 years.

Now I don't suggest you should alter from email account if you don't own a gmail account, but today most alternative browsers are perfectly save to watch email in through a web client. Most applications however such as thunderbird or live mail don't get updated as frequently as the browsers do, meaning you are vurnable to recently discovered security holes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.