VCR connection?

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Hi, I was wandering if it was possible to connect your VCR player (you know the old fashion cassette player, that we don't use anymore...) to your PC, directly? :eek: If so, what do I do to achieve this?

...I Heard this somewhere on a intenet that said it and thought, maybe I should give it a go too, and atleast, I could backup my cassette tapes to HDD... :D

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
you would need a video capture card, the 3 (yed, yellow, and white) cables from the VCR would get hooked up into that (sometimes they have a converter that combines the 2 audio cables into a 3.5mm jack)

avoid the USB ones if possible

some of the more expensive ones will be able to capture 2 streams at once, others are bundled with a TV tuner (allowing you to watch TV as well), etc. but they should all work

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
So are you saying I need to buy a TV Tuner card for my PC in order to do this? If that's the case, then what should I look in for a TV Tuner. (like amount of connections on the card or the right cables, etc.)

'avoid the usb ones if possible' what do you mean by that?

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
So are you saying I need to buy a TV Tuner card for my PC in order to do this? If that's the case, then what should I look in for a TV Tuner. (like amount of connections on the card or the right cables, etc.)

'avoid the usb ones if possible' what do you mean by that?

You can buy USB TV Tuners which look much like a flash drive. You won't be able to use these ones to connect to a VCR.

The first thing you need to work out is whether you want to use a PCI-E card or just a standard PCI one. It is really up to you and which slots you have free.

I have a WinFast PxDVR3200 H card (PCI-E) in my PC and it comes with a mini DIN 9-pin connector which allows you to connect composite (CVBS), S-Video and component video input (Red, Green and Yellow plugs). In other words, I can can connect up a range of devices including a VCR.

Also there are a few of different types of cards, each with different things it can do so you will need to work out whether you want it to be able to do anything else with it. eg, Are you actually going to use it for watching TV?

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
The first thing you need to work out is whether you want to use a PCI-E card or just a standard PCI one. It is really up to you and which slots you have free.

What's difference between a PCI-E TV tuner card and a PCI TV Tuner card? Is there a difference in the amount of data is travelled to you HDD or is there something else?

I have a WinFast PxDVR3200 H card (PCI-E) in my PC and it comes with a mini DIN 9-pin connector which allows you to connect composite (CVBS), S-Video and component video input (Red, Green and Yellow plugs). In other words, I can can connect up a range of devices including a VCR.

Hey, I think my graphics card has one of those! I think the port was that S-Video that had a cable that split itself and had the Green, red and blue cables that came out of the other end. I can connect that to the TV and I think, also my VCR player, but I don't think the data will travel back to the PC....shame. Hey, what about the White, yellow and Red plugs that's connected to you TV from your VCR and vice versa? Can't I use that on a TV Tuner to record from VCR,if that's of course, once I decide whether to have a PCI-E or PCI TV tuner card, and or back it up to my HDD?

Also there are a few of different types of cards, each with different things it can do so you will need to work out whether you want it to be able to do anything else with it. eg, Are you actually going to use it for watching TV?

Hmmm, the things I would like to do if I wanted a TV tuner card are listed:

- Watch Analog and Digital TV channels on PC
- Record to HDD or CD/DVD/Blue Ray discs on PC (From TV quality to Ultra high quality, resolution, sound, etc.)
- Program that comes with the TV tuner card so I don't have to buy or download a separate one that, you never know, the one you downloaded might not be compatible with you TV Tuner Card.
- Be able send data to and from VCR/DVD/Blue Ray(If I have one) standalone Recorders

And that's about it. Unless you also recommend something else as well that I might consider...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
first, there are no tv tuner cards that can capture HD video, atleast not at consumer friendly prices, so sorry but you won't be saving blu-ray streams any time soon (you can save the non-stream version much easier)

pcie and pci will work the same, the difference is the shape of the adapter and where it would sit inside your computer, see what open slots you have available

if a video card has one of the outputs mentioned here, remember that that is an OUTPUT, not an input, even if the cable is the same on both ends - it won't be able to capture it

there are plenty of good free programs that can record from a stream, I don't think that you will run into any issues as far as the program goes (personally I like virtual dub much more then the one that came from ATI /w mine (I have a diamond 600 pci btw))

so all you really need is one that has a composite and a S-video capture, and you didn't say anything about wanting to be able to do both at the same time (or anything like record TV and watch another channel at the same time), so just look for a basic model that does that

other things you might want would be a remote control for play/pause/record/etc, but you can get that separately if you change your mind later (although it probably would be cheaper to have it bundled with this)

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
first, there are no tv tuner cards that can capture HD video, atleast not at consumer friendly prices, so sorry but you won't be saving blu-ray streams any time soon (you can save the non-stream version much easier)

So you're saying there are TV Tuners that can record HD Video and Sound and have them converted into a blue ray disc, yeah? But they're too expensive, like around the $1000 mark? If that's it, then I'll just record normally, like on a DVD recorder. Oh and when you want to start recording, do you get to choose the compression vs quality settings? You know - XP, SP, LP, EP for DVDs and SP, LP for VCR Cassettes (if I wanted to convert them back to cassettes...).

Say, what's the max resolution and sound quality then?

pcie and pci will work the same, the difference is the shape of the adapter and where it would sit inside your computer, see what open slots you have available

So there's no performance vs price?

there are plenty of good free programs that can record from a stream, I don't think that you will run into any issues as far as the program goes (personally I like virtual dub much more then the one that came from ATI /w mine (I have a diamond 600 pci btw))

I see :)
Anyway, are your saying sometimes the program that comes with your TC Tuner Card may be a dodgy one you don't like?

so all you really need is one that has a composite and a S-video capture, and you didn't say anything about wanting to be able to do both at the same time (or anything like record TV and watch another channel at the same time), so just look for a basic model that does that

You can record TV and watch another channel at the same time? Wow! You can't watch a different channel and record TV at the same time with an ordinary standalone DVD Recorder or VCR that connects to TV? Well, I'm guessing that's one advantage of recording on PC vs recording on a VCR/DVD recorder.

other things you might want would be a remote control for play/pause/record/etc, but you can get that separately if you change your mind later (although it probably would be cheaper to have it bundled with this)

A remote controller? Hmmm, this might be handy when your like very far away, say 10m away from PC, and recording and watching at the same time.

Dave312

Reaction score

That doesn't sound right. My card supports HDTV and I am able to record video streams at 1080 resolution. Plus my card only cost me about AU$130.

So there's no performance vs price?
There are reviews around that will compare the performance of PCI vs PCI-E. The difference between PCI and PCI-E is that PCI-E offers faster speeds. From what I can remember, watching HDTV requires a speed which you can get with a standard PCI card. However using two HDTV signals at the same time (watching one and recording another) does require PCI-E. I will need to confirm this though.

I see :)
Anyway, are your saying sometimes the program that comes with your TC Tuner Card may be a dodgy one you don't like?
Yes. I am not a fan of the software that came with my tuner card (Winfast PVR2) but I just haven't gotten around to finding a better program.

You can record TV and watch another channel at the same time? Wow! You can't watch a different channel and record TV at the same time with an ordinary standalone DVD Recorder or VCR that connects to TV? Well, I'm guessing that's one advantage of recording on PC vs recording on a VCR/DVD recorder.
It depends on the type of card you get. I think the ones that can do that are called dual channel cards.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. My card supports HDTV and I am able to record video streams at 1080 resolution. Plus my card only cost me about AU$130.

link to card? I was looking for something like that less then a year ago and found them at the $600-800 mark

Dave312

Reaction score
I bought mine last Christmas. This is the model here. This website has it for $82.

Were you actually referring to a HD Transcoding card? They are a bit more expensive (you can get one for about $200).

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score

So, you can record HD video and audio? So, I can record and burn or record straight to Blue Ray discs?

There are reviews around that will compare the performance of PCI vs PCI-E. The difference between PCI and PCI-E is that PCI-E offers faster speeds. From what I can remember, watching HDTV requires a speed which you can get with a standard PCI card. However using two HDTV signals at the same time (watching one and recording another) does require PCI-E. I will need to confirm this though.

Well, I guess then I'll get the PCI-E based platform one...

Yes. I am not a fan of the software that came with my tuner card (Winfast PVR2) but I just haven't gotten around to finding a better program.

Interesting...I thought the software that comes with it's own product is the best for it's product in all ways.

It depends on the type of card you get. I think the ones that can do that are called dual channel cards.[/QUOTE]

hmmm, do you think this is a good card: http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/e900f/e900f.html?

Found it on MSY parts list and thought it was a good card, maybe only because it was the most expensive one. Isn't usually the most expensive card there the best in all ways? You can check it there if you don't like this card or if there are any better ones at a lower price.

Dave312

Reaction score
So, you can record HD video and audio? So, I can record and burn or record straight to Blue Ray discs?
Yes you can record HD video and audio. As for burning straight to BluRay, that would depend to the software you are using, not the card.
Interesting...I thought the software that comes with it's own product is the best for it's product in all ways.
Generally that is true. You should find that the software is able to make use of all the features that your product supports. But you can always find another program that can support your product.
hmmm, do you think this is a good card: http://www.comprousa.com/en/product/e900f/e900f.html?

Found it on MSY parts list and thought it was a good card, maybe only because it was the most expensive one. Isn't usually the most expensive card there the best in all ways? You can check it there if you don't like this card or if there are any better ones at a lower price.
That appears to be a high quality card. It will support up to a 1080i signal (in Australia they don't broadcast 1080p and I would have thought it would have been much the same elsewhere). It is dual channel card meaning that it will allow you to watch and record digital or analogue TV at the same time. It features the 9 pin connector so you can plug in your VCR with it (this will only support a 480i - 576p signal, no HD stuff). The software it comes with also does not allow you to burn straight to a BluRay. You can however record TV to your HDD and then use another program to burn it to a BluRay disc.

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Which shop sells the card I want?

Hey Dave, can you check these links out?

MCG Technology

Austin Computers

MSY Technology - scroll down to the third page down in the middle, you should be able to see it.

Can you tell me which one of those shops sells the card I want, from my description earlier?

thanks...

Dave312

Reaction score
It is the ComPro VideoMate Vista E900F that you want (the product you linked in one of your previous posts). MSY has it for $191 and Austin Computers has it for $199. I could not find it at MCG Technology. I assume you have made sure you have a spare PCI-E slot on your motherboard and that the card will fit in?

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
It is the ComPro VideoMate Vista E900F that you want (the product you linked in one of your previous posts). MSY has it for $191 and Austin Computers has it for $199. I could not find it at MCG Technology. I assume you have made sure you have a spare PCI-E slot on your motherboard and that the card will fit in?

Hehe! :thup: :) Errr, this may sound too good to be true, but I do have one other question about that product: On the official site of the ComPro VideoMate Vista E900F in the software section, it doesn't say that I could change recording modes in the Ulead DVD MovieFactory 5 SE program or the ComproDTV 4.5 program. You do know what I mean, don't you? :D

Dave312

Reaction score
Errr... no I'm not entirely sure what you are referring to. By recording modes do you mean record straight to disk or record to HDD?

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Well, I guess I was too quick to answer back, and thought you already knew. hmmm, well what I meant was the recording modes:

- XP(eXtra high quality playback),
- SP (Short Play),
- LP (Long Play),
- EP (Extended Play).

Apparently by some info I picked up, XP is for short length videos or movies, or even to keep very high quality picture + sound DVDs, SP is for normal DVD video record use (less quality but more recording time), LP is basically if you wish to compress 2 - 4 more movies in one DVD discs and EP is if you want multiple movies in one disc but at really bad quality (picture and sound). Haven't you ever recorded on a normal standalone DVD recorder?

So to sum it all up:
XP - Very High Quality playback at the cost of disk usage
SP - High quality playback, normal DVD usage
LP - Disk usage isn't as much but at the cost of low quality playback
EP - One single layer 4.7GB DVD disc can fit up to 6 movies but at the cost of really low playback quality.

So what I really want to know, before buying that ComPro VideoMate Vista E900F, is that the software that comes with it allows me to be able to change recording settings and record at whatever setting I please.

Dave312

Reaction score
Ahh now I get what you mean. I did find this on this website:
The exclusive MPEG-4 hardware encoder is able to compress video segments into small size and still offers great image quality video.

I have never used this software before and any video I record I encode with a H.264 codec. This allows me to get DVD quality with a file size of 350MB per 40mins but I can only watch these files on devices that have the H.264 codec (most don't). Your best bet is to try and find a review for it (or someone else who has one) and see what they say about it.

Newbie12

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I have never used this software before and any video I record I encode with a H.264 codec. This allows me to get DVD quality with a file size of 350MB per 40mins but I can only watch these files on devices that have the H.264 codec (most don't).

Is encoding using that H.264 codec better than on Mpeg-4? Is that why you chose to encode using that codec?

Your best bet is to try and find a review for it (or someone else who has one) and see what they say about it.

Found one:
Review #1 - there apparently are a lot of driver and software issues...

Review #2

on other sites, they mentioned this card: WinTV-HVR-2200 MC was a better pick then the ComPro VideoMate Vista E900F. So far, I don't see any reviews on that the program that comes could let you change the recording modes. hmmm, I guess this one doesn't do it...

Dave312

Reaction score
Is encoding using that H.264 codec better than on Mpeg-4? Is that why you chose to encode using that codec?
It is much better.

on other sites, they mentioned this card: WinTV-HVR-2200 MC was a better pick then the ComPro VideoMate Vista E900F. So far, I don't see any reviews on that the program that comes could let you change the recording modes. hmmm, I guess this one doesn't do it...
Sounds like that might be your better bet then.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.