Report Vitamin pills: You think you've ate something healthy, so you give yourself a treat.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
We all have irrational fears – flying is plainly scarier than getting in a car – and we all have odd rituals that we use to manage them. But what if we believed our own hype about these rituals and became cocksure, perhaps even harming ourselves?

Here is a concrete example. In the study of risk perception, people talk about "the licensing effect": when you take a vitamin pill, for example, you think you've done something healthy and wholesome, so you permit yourself to eat more chips and have a cigarette. It sounds like a nice idea, but a bit vague.

Two new experiments put flesh on these bones. Firstly, researchers took 74 undergraduates who were daily smokers, and divided them into two groups at random. The first group were given a dummy pill, a placebo, and were told just that: you're in the control group, taking a dummy pill, with no active ingredient. The other participants were in the vitamin pill group: you've been given a vitamin pill, they were told.

But in fact, the researchers had lied. Everyone in the study got the same dummy pill, with no active ingredient. Half of them thought they'd had a health-giving vitamin pill, because the intention was to see whether people's health behaviours change if they think they've had a nice, healthy vitamin pill.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Oh dear, They discovered what the Placebo Effect is eh?

Btw: Did you know that, too much vitamins pills could kill you?

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
No, when you drown you inhale water and asphyxiate. Water intoxication happens when you drink way the fuck too much water.

How the heck do you stuff yourself with moar water when you are already filled to the brim?
Something that I never figured out...

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
How the heck do you stuff yourself with moar water when you are already filled to the brim?
Something that I never figured out...

Water drinking contests, or when you're working out a lot and consume more water than your body can handle typically.

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Ouch... I should stay away from sweating ^^

Sweating keeps you from having too much water. I think it has something to do with electrolytes getting tired, and you basically flood your system because they just can't remove the water fast enough.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Sweating keeps you from having too much water. I think it has something to do with electrolytes getting tired, and you basically flood your system because they just can't remove the water fast enough.

Glad to know... :) Now, we SWEAT!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.