Warcraft III issues

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Since I have a GeForce, I would like to run Warcraft III under OpenGL. However, when I play under OpenGL the chat messages appear blurry and somewhat annoying to read. Is there any setting to fix that ?

Also, I was just playing a 3v3 and the three of us were about to win (two opponents were dead) when my computer completely hanged. I had to perform a cold boot. Once the first boot screen appeared, I noticed my CPU temp was 45 Celcius. That's not too high right ? I might be paranoid, but I am under the impression something else was involved. It seems like a coincidence that my computer decides to hang for the first time ever under Windows 2000. It hanged before under Windows ME, but that's another story.

I am using Windows 2000 fully updated.

Note : I should probably mention my computer has been on for the past 12 hours without any reboot and I've been playing Warcraft III all day. However I don't think this should be an issue for Windows 2000.

S

Swilo

Regardless of OS, WC3 is designed to take full use of your CPU. After 12 hours of this, it's no wonder your computer locked up and the temp was 45. It was probably 50+ under full load. Nothing to be worried about as long as you have a case fan or two.
Just because 2000 is a more stable OS that ME doesn't mean it isn't allowed to crash.

I have the same problem with OpenGL and text, except I'm using a Radeon 32MB SDR. It's like the text is so smoothed it drops pixels off the letters. Sometimes it's completely scrambled into something similar to this: "l|lllll|||l|||||||III|llll|l|\\|||"
No solution I've tried other than going back to D3D has fixed it.

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Well since I'm not the only one with the OpenGL issue I'll just stick with Direct3D.

As for the crash, my computer was on 12 hours straight but it sure did not have Warcraft III on 12 hours straight. Most of the time it did though. I took breaks here and there. Anyway, I'll overlook it for now. If it happens again I'll buy myself a case fan.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I've seen some other people mentioning the OpenGL text problem. OpenGL is for hippies anyway. Microsoft worked hard to make Direct3D so we should use that because it is by far the best. (As you've seen it does work better for War3 anyway.)

B

baseballcap

have you guys tried changing the anti-aliasing settings or changing the contrast settings in the video card settings area?

NoNameRequired

Reaction score
Not yet but I sure will. What is anti-aliasing anyway ? I've tried searching the net about it but could not find any explaination. I remember seeing benchmark tests on the upcoming Unreal Tournement and the my GeForce MX 440 scored higher with Anti-Aliasing on.

S

Swilo

For rap - D3D works better for WC3 because that's what tey spent most of their time coding for; OpenGL was just a conversion they did as a compatability precaution, not what it was originally made with.
For BBC - I'm pretty sure all video cards come with AA settings turned off, and I know I never turned mine on.
For NNR - AA is a system by which the video card goes through and averages the colours between chunks of pixels to create a smoother image; every manufacturer has their own system and some work better than others.

Anybody know wtf anisotrpic filtering is through?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.