Other Warcraft: The Gathering

IceWarrior98

Reaction score
I know I have another map on my plate, but hot damn this is better! I have had a brain fart just recently and after typing out some of my ideas I felt I should share them with all of you. None of this has been started but I feel a lot of it if not all of it can be done fairly simply. This is what I have been typing out the past half hour or so (Please note I haven't completed brainstorming yet, I just want to see how the public would like this idea):

Warcraft: The Gathering

Note:
Not all cards will be made exactly like the ones in MTG. Some if not many or more will be made custom or altered to fit.

Gameplay
Players: 12
Teams: Either each player has one opponent or even teams or free for all.

Functions​
Hand: Each player has a max of 7 cards. Each card will be placed on a tile or something to signify the hands slots.
Casting: In order to cast you must have enough mana. You cast by selecting the “card” and then using it's ability “cast”. If you are able to cast it your opponent will get a warning saying you are about to cast that spell, giving them time to counter it. If it is not countered in the specified time then it is successfully casted.
Mana: Like in real life, you will need “lands” to provide you with mana. When you use a land to cast a spell your mana will deplete. The mana will be shown as either gold or lumber or to help with more specifics a multiboard.
Phases: Like the real life game, you play by phases. You have the untap phase (all your mana is reset and creatures able to attack or defend again). The Upkeep phase, players can play instants and activated abilites. Draw step, a random card is drawn from your library. The Main Phase, can play anything and only one land per turn. Opponent can play instants and activated abilities. Combat Phase, Declare attackers, Declare blockers, creatures assign damage to defending player (where the damage will go), damage is then dealt and instants and activated abilities can be played once again. Second Main Phase, just like the first main phase only you can only play a land if you haven't played one in the first main phase. End phase, end of turn step, cleanup step(if you have more than seven cards in your hand, choose and discard some until seven is your final amount).
Drawing: Drawing will be done by making a hidden region on the map with chosen creatures already placed there. When the player draws a random card will be taken from that region and put into his/her hand.
Pre-Game
If I choose so, players will choose their own cards before the game starts. When they are all done choosing their cards (which are placed in the hidden region) the game then begins. The host decides on the type of game played (free for all, teams(if so what size)). No matter the game state, each player has their own area on the map and can only see their designated opponents playing field (unless a spell is played to allow sight of their hand).

Ideas (Things i'm thinking of and haven't been implemented yet)
Turns
When a turn is over (when player ends his turn using a spell) all triggers are disabled for that player except for instants and activated abilities. When a phase is active the trigger necessary becomes enabled for that player.

Screenshots
Prototype Layout
WTG_PrototypeLayout.jpg

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. I do not know if I will put this into play just yet, but would really like to as the only MTG maps out...suck.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Good luck.

This will be Insadely Hard to create.

The catch with MTG is how complicated it is. You can choose to play instants at any point, all of the different abilities,if they both trigger, which takes priority? how exactly does every rules aobu that one card truely work?
This would take months to make.

IceWarrior98

Reaction score
True. And that's what scares me. Right now i'm working on a card drawing system. I'd rather start with the basics and work my way up. So far i've run into an annoying snag. I'm trying to get the trigger to move a unit instantly from the library to the hand but so far it's not working the way i'd prefer. I'm going to try out something else and if that doesn't work either, i'll post the triggers here to see if anyone can be of assistance.

EDIT: Ok so here's the problem. It detects the spell and displays the text perfectly fine...but it does not move the units as I want it to.

Code:
Draw Card
    Events
        Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
    Conditions
        (Ability being cast) Equal to Draw Card 
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                (Number of units in (Units in P1HandA <gen>)) Less than 7
            Then - Actions
                Unit - Move (Random unit from (Units in Library <gen> owned by (Owner of (Casting unit)))) instantly to (Center of P1HandA <gen>)
            Else - Actions
        Floating Text - Create floating text that reads Draw Card above (Casting unit) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
        Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 50.00 towards 90.00 degrees
        Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
        Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 0.50 seconds
        Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 3.00 seconds

131ackout

Heh.. Like Yu-it-Oh.. Or w/e name I don't remember..

Anyway, good luck. :D

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
gotta remember, you can have up to 20 cards in your hand, but at the end of your turn - once you declare an edit, you have to discard down to 8. So what you should do is always have the drawing.

Then, keep the amount of ards in hand stored as a variable to be recalled at the end of the turn.

IceWarrior98

Reaction score
gotta remember, you can have up to 20 cards in your hand, but at the end of your turn - once you declare an edit, you have to discard down to 8. So what you should do is always have the drawing.

Then, keep the amount of ards in hand stored as a variable to be recalled at the end of the turn.

I know about the card limits. But I can't get my trigger to work for drawing. Also, you can only draw at the beginning of your upkeep, not all the time during your turn and if you go over 7 and your ending your turn you have to discard to 7, not 8.

Actually I see what you mean. The limit doesn't hit you until your turn ends, so if you have 7 you can still pick up one more. So my condition is not needed.

Heh.. Like Yu-it-Oh.. Or w/e name I don't remember..

Anyway, good luck. :D

Magic always was and always will be the greatest Trading Card Game.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
I agree with pineapple, this will be incredibly hard to do, because every ability, every spell can have more spells played before it, and then you have to trigger up the whole concept of the stack... and then double strike could be somewhat hard... well good luck! Oh, and if you make this, don't make tarmogoyf a card, because tarmogoyf is retarded.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
I agree with pineapple, this will be incredibly hard to do, because every ability, every spell can have more spells played before it, and then you have to trigger up the whole concept of the stack... and then double strike could be somewhat hard... well good luck! Oh, and if you make this, don't make tarmogoyf a card, because tarmogoyf is retarded.

What? No. Take him out with a qick neck snap. there are tones of back cards to kill creatures. Remove it from the game. He is just a creature.

Also keep the colour pie in mind, don't make white spells that deal direct damage. Take the best spells are creatures that are what that colour is about.

Demi666

Reaction score
Ok so you think none here have played the orginal map? only thing you changed on terrain is the heighten terrain next to the wizard plateau.

This is a copy imo

Miz

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you going to use Fade filters for the cards or something like that?

I never was much of a Trading card person ,but massive project. If you complete it, you surely will be rewarded

IceWarrior98

Reaction score
Ok so you think none here have played the orginal map? only thing you changed on terrain is the heighten terrain next to the wizard plateau.

This is a copy imo

A copy of what? I'm making this from scratch. I'm just starting on triggers and the layout for the duel is a prototype. Something I may change, but certainly made myself.

What original map are you talking about anyways? I never heard of it before, could you link me to it?

Are you going to use Fade filters for the cards or something like that?

I never was much of a Trading card person ,but massive project. If you complete it, you surely will be rewarded

No I'm going to keep it simple and just use the default units for most things.

I am becoming more aware of the difficulties at hand. And I know this will take a lot of time to do, but hopefully I can at least get a basic battle system out for everyone to do 1v1 duels. That's what i'm aiming for at the moment. The more complex multiple player thing will wait. I just want to see if I can get the basics down first.

For instance. Those complex spells a couple of you mentioned, those will stay out until I get things like attack, defend, and damage deal phases down. Once those are down, then i'll work on counters and instants. One step at a time, and hopefully I can make a decent TCG.

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
amazing... footman card attacks grunt card *footman pops out of footman card.. and kills the grunt that pops out of the grunt card.. *special effects* grunt card breaks. footman returns to footman card and poofs..

if that were to happen... it would be sweet. and total awesome.

IceWarrior98

Reaction score
amazing... footman card attacks grunt card *footman pops out of footman card.. and kills the grunt that pops out of the grunt card.. *special effects* grunt card breaks. footman returns to footman card and poofs..

if that were to happen... it would be sweet. and total awesome.

I'll tell you what. If I can get this to work as I hope to, i'll try that afterwards. Until then, gotta get the system working first lol.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
What? No. Take him out with a qick neck snap. there are tones of back cards to kill creatures. Remove it from the game. He is just a creature.

This is flawed logic. Saying something is fine just because something else exists that can stop it is bad reasoning. Ancestral recall must be fine then because it can be countered? How about tolarian academy, it's a land so it can be destroyed? or black lotus, it's an artifact, so null rod shuts it down, or it to can be countered.

Not to mention the fact that 4/5's for 2 are inherently retarded-good. Especially since they can easily get bigger.

IceWarrior98

Reaction score
I don't have the listings of every card ever made memorized in my head. I will basically use cards I have, cards I find, cards that are recommended, and then cards I make up on the spot. Cards like Black Lotus, Wrath of God, etc will not likely be included. I want so much to have a specific card of mine in the game, but it would be overpowered in terms that it clears the field. I love my Reiver Demon :D

Keep in mind that I'm not even sure I can pull this off. This entire map screams JASS but I don't know anything about JASS. I've tried learning it but I don't understand anything about it. But, if I do get stuck and feel like tossing it. I will provide this site with a download of the maps current state unless it has like nothing in it (like now lol).

EDIT:
Then again. It would be interesting to use 100% Warcraft units and spells...Hmm what do you guys think? 100% Warcraft? or MTG/Custom/Random? I think Warcraft would be best as most of them are already made, and all I would have to do is make new rules and abilities for some creatures.

Humans - White
Orcs - Red
Undead - Black
NightElf - Green
Naga - Blue

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
I say go wth Warcraft units. Heroes could be Legendaries or the like. It would be much better and give you most options.

demotry241

Don't Ever Categorize Yourself.
Reaction score
go for warcraft units....

we already have land cards: ashenvale, dungeon, black citadel, and etc.

artifacts..: frostmourne pedestal, the lich king, world tree, etc.

;D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.