Web Programming Languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akatsuki

Reaction score
Hello,

I want to ask a simple question to people with some web experience. I want to make a website someday. Nothing fancy but I think having the ability to make a website is pretty cool and useful and guys (I use guys gender neutral) who know how to make websites are pretty cool.

So my question is what web languages is best to know before I start making websites. What I mean is if you needed to separate the web languages into two categories.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 One would be languages needed to make a website and languages that will be too hard to add once the website is actually created.

2. The other one would be language that can be learned later on and can be added to an already made website with little effort and time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What be languages would be in the first category?

I hope this is not too confusing.

Also if you could post where I could find a free server that is good enough just for me to practice around with then that would be greatly appreciated.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
I don't really understand your two categories - you don't "add" a language to a website and it's never really too hard. But anyway, assuming that you already know (X)HTML and CSS, you'll probably want to learn PHP and possibly JavaScript. Need tutorials? Ask Google.

> where I could find a free server
http://www.free-webhosts.com/webhosting-01.php

Akatsuki

Reaction score
Thanks,

I know some (X)HTML and some CSS. So I guess PHP is what I need to learn.

Are there any other languages I should know about?

duyen

Reaction score
Learn HTML (HyperText Markup Language) first.

Once you get HTML down learn CSS (Cascading Style Sheet), then JavaScript, then PHP (PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor).

That's the order I recommend, some people would argue you should learn XML (Extensible Markup Language) or XHTML too. (Which you should at some point, but not when you're just starting out.)

Links:
HTML Tutorial
CSS Tutorial
JavaScript Tutorial
PHP Tutorial
PHP Official Documentation: [English] [French] [German] [Italian] [Spanish] [More Languages]

For a server I'd use FreeHostia, L4rge, 000webhost or Free-Space.

I personally recommend FreeHostia or Free-Space.

___

Oh and I know all of the above languages, if you need help, give me a call.

[Note: I wrote this assuming you had no / next to no web making experience]

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
Well, you should also probably learn MySQL, although I'm not sure if it can be considered a language.
Knowing about the AJAX concept is also a nice thing. It's not really a language but rather a combination of JavaScript and (X)HTML (and usually PHP) that allows asynchronous loading - Quick Reply on these forums is a good example of that.
You can also look into the Flash madness at some point as it allows some rather interesting things and many like to have it on their websites to improve aesthetics.

And I don't recommend learning from W3 Schools, despite the fact many will recommend you that. The information found there is not always reliable and there are better places to learn - notably, you'll probably want to learn PHP from the official documentation.

duyen

Reaction score
>I don't recommend learning from W3 Schools, despite the fact many will recommend you that.

I remember when I was learning CSS about a year ago you pointed me to w3 schools :rolleyes:

W3Schools hasn't failed me yet.

>You can also look into the Flash madness at some point as it allows some rather interesting things and many like to have it on their websites to improve aesthetics.

Flash is expensive. I mean really expensive.

>Well, you should also probably learn MySQL, although I'm not sure if it can be considered a language.

PHP and mySQL are like bread and butter, you wouldn't dare learn PHP without learning mySQL.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
.NET could be another useful language to learn. You could use that instead of PHP.

duyen

Reaction score
Code:
<h1 align="center">

I guess I just lost the game.

Anyhow I didn't learn HTML from that site >.>

>.NET could be another useful language to learn. You could use that instead of PHP.

Last time I checked .net was a domain type.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's ASP.NET in full, but it is sometimes shortened to just .NET.

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ASP and ASP.NET are different though.

TFlan

I could change this in my User CP.
Reaction score
Ruby on Rails > PHP > ASP / ASP.NET

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Ruby on Rails > ...

Thou shalt not compare a framework to programming languages.

It looks like this "helpful" thread is slowly but surely ending up in fanboy trolling. Time to put it to rest? :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.