Weird unit behavior?

Reaction score
This is an issue that I've seen in a few maps and wouldn't you know it, it affected mine as well.
I have a spawning trigger that creates units periodically at some location and issues an order for them to go somewhere else (forget the trigger, it works fine). When a lot of units gather at one place (around 40+?) they suddenly start to act really strange - all of them try to issue ... something over and over again and in the end just bug at once place. They stop acquiring enemy units and just don't move - no attack (even ranged ones), no spell cast, no nothing. Issuing a MANUAL order for the specific units does the same - they just don't move and only face the direction of the issued order. Some of them rarely move a inch or two forward and stop again doing absolutely no action. My observation says that they act this way in closed space. For example, visualize a rectangular place with 4 exits (lanes, paths, whatever) and the units can go out of this place only through those 4 exits. When lots of units get "piled up" at the exit, their orders just stop and they won't react on anything, even though they should be going to some location out of the rectangular region. Probably this is an issue of the game itself?
For reference I played DotA in test mode and spawned a lot of creeps with commands and the creeps start reacting the same way when I create more than 6-7 creep waves (which consist of 4-5 creeps).
Solutions?

Azylaminaz

Vox Populi
Reaction score
The answer is simple - WarCraft can't handle too many units doing things.

One solution is a custom movement system, though this would only fix walking and such. Basically scripting everything would replace the non-responsive issues with lag.

StarCraft II is going to be build to handle many times more units doing things. :D

Sorry to say, but you should try sticking to less units.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.